P35i OAK question..I know..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fortier

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Being we should have the Harman to replace our Thelin on Wed. I am going the OAK setup come spring or so ( money not available ATM.) If I have read the manual right. Is it safe to say I purchase the OAK kit and only need to run 3" vent approx. 10 feet or so up into my 20 foot chimney? It does not need to get up and out?

Being we should have the Harman to replace our Thelin on Wed. I am going the OAK setup come spring or so ( money not available ATM.) If I have read the manual right. Is it safe to say I purchase the OAK kit and only need to run 3" vent approx. 10 feet or so up into my 20 foot chimney? It does not need to get up and out?
I went 8ft but ya that works. If by chance your chimney is so tight as to not allow sufficient air you can always cut a small inlet hole in the cap or even in the side of the chimney. Mine works fine though.

Thanks AH, good to know it can be done this way.

Have you considered going to the top of the chimney then sealing off the 2 penitrations? Sealing off the chimney will hold heat inside longer and should warm the air coming in reducing the condensation on the oak, or keep it inside the chimney. Should also add to the natural draft. I have 3" with about 10' of straight and 6 elbows, 2 are 90* the other 4 are doglegs/offsets. With or without the oak connected the manometer will read the same, if i disconnect the oak and cover the intake more than 50% i'll see a change in the manometer.

john,
My only worry with that is the oak would then be right next to the exhaust.

That's not a issue. My OAK and vent exit the wall of my house and terminate right next to each other.

All,
Would running the oak 20 ft or so be to far?

I went 8ft but ya that works. If by chance your chimney is so tight as to not allow sufficient air you can always cut a small inlet hole in the cap or even in the side of the chimney. Mine works fine though.

Harman sells a SS top plate sleeve that vents the flue chase and adds sufficient flashing so rainwater doesn't get into the holes, but it's expensive.

I made mine by using a "terra cotta" style top plate, fabricated a spacer out of SS square tubing matching the clay liner size, drilled some vent holes into the spacer, then slipped the top plate on with a liberal amount of silicone sealant. The flanges from the top plate keep the holes protected from rainwater, snow, etc...

Reactions: John Fortier
John you should love your p35i my family does.one Quistion.didnr you just get that thelin 2 years ago.if so why you getting rid if it?

All,
Would running the oak 20 ft or so be to far?
Probably be fine but you might want to think about 3" tube.. Best I can tell you, I didn't do that , LOL! I picked up the tip from one of the installers here at the site, was an active member at the time but I can't recall who he was at the moment. I figured, well if he installs that way professionally I'll try it. The worse that can happen is I'll have to drill a few little vent holes someplace above the bottom block off. But it works fine.

John you should love your p35i my family does.one Quistion.didnr you just get that thelin 2 years ago.if so why you getting rid if it?
CT, Thelin when it works runs great. Got it Oct 2013. Service has been out here 5 times, 2 igniters, control board and so on. We finally had enough and the SnS agreed to a new stove. Cost was a little more than we paid sooo price difference and a $200.00 remove and install fee We are going with the Harman.

Reactions: Ctcarl
Thanks CBL kinda of how I've been leaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.