P43 Auger Not Feeding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VTPellets

Aug 14, 2015
VT
My 3yr old P43 will not feed and light. No blinking status lights, in test mode all lights turn on. I've deep cleaned it and checked all the gaskets for leaks. Nothing.

I can trick it for a short time by tossing a handful of pellets into the burn pot and letting it light that way, so I know the igniter works fine. But it won't feed after burning for a few minutes.

I think I've narrowed it down to an auger blockage or bad auger motor. Hoping it's a blockage since the stove is so new. Not a single complaint with the stove otherwise. Been reliable.

Am I on the right track? Is it a pain to pull off the auger motor to clear it? Any good videos on the process?

In test mode all the motors should run but first the exhaust fan needs to come on. If that fan does not get enough vacuum the feed motor circuit will not be closed to feed the fire. Plugged venting or exhaust past fan not allowing enough flow?
If comfortable with electricity you could jumper around the vac switch to narrow down the issue. Stove unplugged before attempting.
And yes its not fun trying to pull the auger assembly

Last edited:
Before taking out the auger I would look into the vacuum pressure differential switch. It's the one with the tube attached to it.
First I would check the fitting where it is attached to the stove's exhaust to see if it is plugged by putting a wire up the fitting after the vacuum tube is disconnected.
If that's clear make sure the tube itself is making a good tight connection on both ends.
If this doesn't solve it the clean the fines box out.
Next would be to check the vacuum switch by jumping it out. Make a jumper wire and hook it up with the stove unplugged. Then try to start the stove. If it starts then the switch is bad or you have a large leak somewhere and the vacuum isn't enough to trigger the switch.
If none of the above works then maybe on to the auger, starting at the wiring connections first. If you are good at using a voltmeter you could check to see if you have 120 volts at the auger at startup. If you do then the auger is bad or jammed.

By all means be careful when working on the stove's inner workings when power is applied as there is lots of places you can come in contact with 120 volts.
Ron

Thanks for the replies guys. I noticed two more things: in test mode all fans come on as normal, so I don't think the exhaust fan is the issue.

However, after running it for a few minutes while it's not feeding, I can feel that the auger motor is very warm, however I can't move anything by hand back in there behind the burn chamber. Does this indicate anything?

Not super comfortable with electricity so I'm doing all the investigating with the stove unplugged.

I've got a toddler sleeping upstairs so I'm loathe to make anymore noise taking it apart further tonight so I'll investigate more deeply tomorrow. Oil furnace taking over for the night.

I replied too soon. Just tested another thing: put it into test mode and watched the auger motor and axle move just a bit, but the auger itself did not move. I suspect this indicates a blockage?

Toddler had some pellet bin fun and left a toy? Happened several times for others.

I replied too soon. Just tested another thing: put it into test mode and watched the auger motor and axle move just a bit, but the auger itself did not move. I suspect this indicates a blockage?
You're on the right track. Empty the hopper and look down through the slide plate and see if something is jammed in that way. As stated before, when was the last time you emptied the fines box? You can take the auger motor off fairly easily if you are handy. Start with this and let us know how you make out.

If igniter is on so is auger. that rules out vac switch plugged venting ect. loosen set screw that hold auger motor to auger shaft and pull motor off. you should be able to turn the auger shaft easily by hand. If so motor needs replaced. If not you have a auger jam.

you should be able to turn the auger shaft easily by hand. If so motor needs replaced. If not you have a auger jam.

Ah - this is very helpful. I'm going to try this before I pull off the motor or anything else.

Side note - cleaned out the fines from the metering box, did not fix issue.

Removal of the motor is pretty straight forward. The auger assembly though is siliconed in and can be a PIA to remove. I would as said before, suck out the pellets and see if one can get a wire-coat hanger in the front to see if you can dislodge the problem and suck out pellets as you clear.

All right, got it fixed. Was a stuck auger. Have to say, once I got down in there it was a pretty easy job technically. Thanks for the help everyone.

All right, got it fixed. Was a stuck auger. Have to say, once I got down in there it was a pretty easy job technically. Thanks for the help everyone.
What caused the stuck auger?

Harman stoves have been known to be noisy when eating pellets and I fed some ugly long pellets to mine thankfully only one bag as the other two bags I tried used in the shop they were so poor. Natures Own from Walmart, Pennington. Entered them in "longest pellet contest"