P43 minimum feed / burn rate setting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

P43pig

Nov 9, 2013
MA
D050286C-4B0B-48C3-82E6-8F0F8D2D3DA4.jpeg
I’m trying to get my p43 to run at its min setting which is .75lb/hr. That should be 18lb per day or 53 hr per bag. With the settings I’m running I’m getting a bag a day…maybe 30hr per bag at the most. Attached is a pic of the running settings…the only thing I do to start is put switch in auto and crank the temp up to get it to start the ignition cycle. Once it fires I turn the temp back down and put it in manual to keep it running continuously.

I probably should mention why I want to run it this way…because maybe there is a better way.
I put the stove in a long time ago to get me by one winter because I couldn’t cut the street open for gas until the spring. And basically not running propane that winter bought me a p43 and fuel…so I ended up with a free stove you could say. But now I have gas and run the stove for fun and extra heat…the problem tho is it’s in a small room and it will blow you out of the room very easily. Two, air flow to and from that room to the rest of the house is not the greatest so I really can’t use that heat efficiently. Three, pellets are ridiculous now, running for “fun” is turning into an expensive hobby

So I’m thinking that maybe I should be running in stove temp mode instead. But I’d thought I’d check with experts here before I go messing with it

The only problem with running it on idle like that for a long time it can creosote the pipe over time. Exhaust temp is so low it can condense in the pipe. It can cause a chimney fire. Ask me how I know this :eek: . I have a P38 in the basement that I was running at a little over idle to regulate temp down there. After the small chimney fire and frying my esp I converted the stove to a P43 Auto ignition and set the temp in auto mode and let it do its thing. I would say to crank it up a bit each day to keep the pipe clean.

The only problem with running it on idle like that for a long time it can creosote the pipe over time. Exhaust temp is so low it can condense in the pipe. It can cause a chimney fire. Ask me how I know this :eek: . I have a P38 in the basement that I was running at a little over idle to regulate temp down there. After the small chimney fire and frying my esp I converted the stove to a P43 Auto ignition and set the temp in auto mode and let it do its thing. I would say to crank it up a bit each day to keep the pipe clean.
It’s direct vent thru a wall…probably only 3ft of pipe out then 3’ up outside….no chimney. I burn Douglas fur and there is min ash, so far the pipes are pretty damn clean when I brush them out in the spring
I’ve never seen any type of black tar

It’s direct vent thru a wall…probably only 3ft of pipe out then 3’ up outside….no chimney. I burn Douglas fur and there is min ash, so far the pipes are pretty damn clean when I brush them out in the spring
I’ve never seen any type of black tar
Cool! Just keep a eye on the pipe for the black shiny coating on the inside.

The specs I see show burn time on low as up to 37 hours, with a full hopper,which is 50 lbs. Now that was probably done under ideal conditions, with optimum fuel. That would be 1.35lbs per hour. Also,your feed setting may be hurting you. It is for "max" feed, and running it that low may keep telling the probe it is too cool, actually increasing your usage.

The specs I see show burn time on low as up to 37 hours, with a full hopper,which is 50 lbs. Now that was probably done under ideal conditions, with optimum fuel. That would be 1.35lbs per hour. Also,your feed setting may be hurting you. It is for "max" feed, and running it that low may keep telling the probe it is too cool, actually increasing your usage.
Min spec is .75/hr…fact. That’s what the factory says it ls not me…I do t believe it but that’s what it says. How I can set it to that is question…I don’t see it happening but it would be great if I actually could

Don't know, never saw the spec you have . The specs from pelletstovefires.com, which is no longer being updated is what I posted-
Hopper Capacity 50 lbs. (110 with hopper extension)

Burn time 37 hrs. on low. 82 hours with the hopper extension

And right from Harman site--
BTU/hr input--17,200 - 43,500
BTU/hr Input based on maximum feed rate per hour multiplied by approximately 8600 BTU, which is average BTU from a pound of pellets.
This is a general guide, see your local dealer for help in determining the product that best suits your heating needs based on climate, home efficiency, location of the heater, and air movement in the room.

P43 Pellet Stove
Floor Protection
Specifications
BTU/Hr Input1.......17,200-43,500
Efficiency2.................... 84% LHV; 77% HHV
Emissions.................... .95g/hr
Heating Capacity3..... 800-2,400 sq ft
Hopper Capacity....... 50 lb
Fuel Type..................... Pellet
Feed Rate.................... 1.9-4.7lb/hr
Venting Size................ 3"
Weight......................... 213 lb

Min spec is .75/hr…fact. That’s what the factory says it ls not me…I do t believe it but that’s what it says. How I can set it to that is question…I don’t see it happening but it would be great if I actually could
it will never happen. they are lying. I have the P-43. on that lowest setting it will use a bag a day. last maybe 22-23 hrs. I laugh when I see people say I got a P-68 keep 2000 sq ft house at 70 using one bag a day. never happen

Reactions: Ssyko and Mt Bob
Well I think you have already proved that is a misprint or they lied. Lots of P43 owners on here, perhaps more will tell of their usage.

The only way to stretch out a bag of pellets is to use it in auto with a temp probe….and the only way I’m able to stretch a bag a day or 2…maybe 3 days out of my P61 is for it to be warmer outside

Reactions: Mt Bob
I have a 43 also, I have mine running off a thermostat. It runs in manual, with a small burn all the time. my feed is at 3. Stat is set at 70 at night and 73 through the day. I get a day maybe slightly more on some days out of a bag. When it gets very cold I am bringing in pellets twice a day.

Stove temp mode runs at that rate regardless of indoor air temperature, so if you think you get too hot now, that won't help....

I don't see how that'll be any less use than room temp mode if you've maxed out your room temperature and it just idles all day.

If you're trying to save pellets, why not just run it for a few hours to warm up the room, then shut it off for a while?

Usually I run my stove on a thermostat that is in my office, about 1/2 way down the length of the house (950 sq/ft for the main floor - where the P43 is). When it is really cold and/or windy, even that set up will lead to the stove starting back up as it is at the end of the shut down cycle. That is when I put it in manual and the feed rate anywhere from where you have it to 1.5 on the dial, depending on outside conditions. I'm pretty sure I've never used less than a bag a day that way.

The stove specs always seem to be a bit optimistic - at least outside the lab. When I had the Hastings, the manual said it would hold 40 lbs. I was never able to shove a whole bag in there, more like 30-35 lbs, even when it was totally empty. So, I always take the "specs" with a grain of salt.

So to end this, after running different settings and running some numbers the min feed rate of my 2012ish p43 is approximately 1.6 lb/hr
This is for running based on feed rate

So to end this, after running different settings and running some numbers the min feed rate of my 2012ish p43 is approximately 1.6 lb/hr
This is for running based on feed rate

I'd believe that.

The bare minimum feed rate would be in room temp with temp down to minimum and set igniter to manual I would think.

We run our P43 in room temp/manual with a wireless thermostat. Heating a 1700 sq ft small 2 story house (no basement, slab foundation), stove is centrally located downstairs just off stairs into center chimney (used to have a wood/coal stove). Usual setting on thermostat is 72 with a swing range of 2 (goes into maintenance burn at 74, kicks back to full burn at 70). With outside temps down into high 20's we use a bag a day, feed rate is 3.5 . The house is well insulated, we shrink film the windows, even hung a mylar heat reflecting blanket over a window the stove points at to reflect heat back into the room.

Days like this morning when it was 24 out I put the thermostat into Run mode till the temp reads about 76 then just turn the feed rate down down to 2 for a couple hours till it warms up outside. The stove running with a higher than maintenance but lower than full burn flame keeps the temp in the house steady. Once the outside temp is above 30 I put the thermostat back into Thermo mode and put the feed rate back to 3.5 .

A cold stretch bumps the pellet usage from 1 to 1.5/2 bags a day.

sam

Reactions: ABusWrench