P43 optional log set

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herb1998

Sep 10, 2010
Maryland
Hello, I'm new to the pellet stove world. We had a P43 installed in the dining room of our house and it's a nice stove but plain looking. I wanted to dress it up a little and thought the optional log set would do the trick. I ordered the set from our dealer and it came today. The part number is 3-40-5647. Following the dealers advice I set the logs in the stove after removing the single brick the stove came with. The log set is kind of wobbly and more then a bit to tall. With the door open you can see the log set, but when the door is closed you can only see the bottom log and part of the center log. I have looked high and low to find information and I have even wrote Harman to ask for their help. (no reply yet from Harman). The only thing I see is that Harman lists this log set for many of its stoves large and small but no reference to the P43. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_8465.jpg
    IMG_8465.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 1,338
  • IMG_8462.jpg
    IMG_8462.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,083
Are you sure the P43 is supposed to accomodate a log set? It definitely looks out of place or maybe even the wrong one .

I don't have a Harman, but I do have logs sets for both of my Quads. I put them in AFTER burning season because they make cleaning a pain in the butt. The wife doesn't like it but until she learns how to clean the stoves with them in there, they stay in a box all winter. My logs fit AROUND the burn pot so you can't see it. IF your logs are meant for your stove, I think you should try arranging them differently. They sure don't look right just piled on each other. Another clue are the 'feet' that I see on the bottom of them. Try them in front of the burn pot or staggered back and forth across it.

On my Advance the log set mounts on the door in front of the burn pot, that looks like you stacked 3 pieces of wood on your burn pot, for what it's worth the log set makes cleaning the stove a mess, it was a waste of money! Don't hold your breath waiting for Harman to reply

Herb1998 said:
I really do not know that is why I'am asking for help but this link shows the stove and it as a option.
http://www.harmanstoves.com/products/details.asp?f=STVPP43&nav=features
http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/brochures/P43.PDF

That picture in Harman's literature sure seems to show the same logs, placed as you have them. Not very appealing or representative of what a real burning log stack would look like, but it would not be a good idea to just play around with stacking them differently above the burn pot. Maybe it would be safe to arrange them up from the ash area, with the tops leaning against the side walls, away from the burn pot - even if you had to break them in half? I've seen one piece log sets that surround the burn pot (forget which brand stove) that do enhance the look, easily lift out, and can only go back in place one way.

All the P series harman units use the same logset. They do look a little oversized for the 43/38. They are also useless and fragile. See if you can trade 'em in for credit towards a nice stainless trim w/ matching deer tile....

tjnamtiw said:
I don't have a Harman, but I do have logs sets for both of my Quads. I put them in AFTER burning season because they make cleaning a pain in the butt........

Yep, this is the general consensus about the fake logs. If you decide to keep them, use them for decoration during the non-burning months. Otherwise, as Summit suggested, maybe trade them back to the dealer for something else.

I agree with Summit, see if you can either trade them in for the trim/slate tile or
keep them just for decor in the offseason.
IMO they are way overpriced to be so fragile.

Thanks everyone. Tomorrow we will return the 75 dollar log set and see if they carry in stock the slate or trim. I really feel like it is a unsafe option since the logs are indeed fragile if they broke or fell into the fire pot who knows what might happen. The P43 only has the one brick behind the fire pot, I still think it would have looked better with a full row of bricks like its bigger brother has. (three bricks) Since we have a tile saw what would be the thoughts if we purchased 3 bricks and cut them to fit behind the fire pot instead on one brick? Or are we just asking for more problems.

Thanks again.

theres a slot in the bottom log that allows it to fit over that piece of vertical steel that usually hold the brick in place. Looks like you dont have that slot lined up with the piece of steel. Those 2 lil nubs on the bottom log should sit right on the flame guide. Or you could return them. :)

Hi everyone and thanks for all the suggestions. I returned the log set today and the guy at the store could not get it to set in the P43 either without removing the fire plate and when the logs where in place the fire plate no longer fit. Also they sell the decorative slates but you are required to purchase the chrome trim set because the brackets that secure the slate to the door come in the trim set not sold separately. Its time to get out the oil paint set and do my own decorating, or purchase natural stones and glue them in place with high temp silicone.

Thanks again.

BXpellet said:
On my Advance the log set mounts on the door in front of the burn pot, that looks like you stacked 3 pieces of wood on your burn pot, for what it's worth the log set makes cleaning the stove a mess, it was a waste of money! Don't hold your breath waiting for Harman to reply

+10000

i got 'comped' a free log set during the month i bought my stove it was there promo item. it looked pretty for about 3 hours. After that, it was just an ash catcher and made cleaning the stove a royal pain.
i would advise against using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.