P61a pellet feed problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

greywolf46

Jan 31, 2015
Eastern PA - Lower Bucks
MY P61a shut down after pellets stopped feeding the burn pot. setting on stove temp auto - setting #4. When it is running, the feed motor comes on and auger turns but pellets are not coming into burn pot, so it shuts down. I cleaned the fines box and replaced the ESP recently. Stove ran ok for a few days then it started doing this. Any help appreciated.

MY P61a shut down after pellets stopped feeding the burn pot. setting on stove temp auto - setting #4. When it is running, the feed motor comes on and auger turns but pellets are not coming into burn pot, so it shuts down. I cleaned the fines box and replaced the ESP recently. Stove ran ok for a few days then it started doing this. Any help appreciated.
Have u reached down in the hopper thru the pellets to see if they are jammed up at the slide plate?

You may have some long pellets in there that caused a bridge so is not allowing pellets to fall. Or, you may have a foreign object in there, causing the same issue. I've had to empty my P61a hopper twice; once there was a piece of plastic flap from the bag and once it must have been bridging (although I used the same pellets for a while and it only happened that once).

Actually the first thing I'd check (becasue it is easy), and I'm unsure if this is really a thing that could cause pellets not to drop, check and make sure the fines box isn't stuffed.

Reactions: Tonyray
Have u reached down in the hopper thru the pellets to see if they are jammed up at the slide plate?

Just a word of caution - if you do this, don't use your fingers, use a paint stick or broom handle. You don't want unjamb something and have the auger move with your fingers in there.

Just a word of caution - if you do this, don't use your fingers, use a paint stick or broom handle. You don't want unjamb something and have the auger move with your fingers in there.
Yes.. Big YES.. my bad...

You may have some long pellets in there that caused a bridge so is not allowing pellets to fall. Or, you may have a foreign object in there, causing the same issue. I've had to empty my P61a hopper twice; once there was a piece of plastic flap from the bag and once it must have been bridging (although I used the same pellets for a while and it only happened that once).

Actually the first thing I'd check (becasue it is easy), and I'm unsure if this is really a thing that could cause pellets not to drop, check and make sure the fines box isn't stuffed.
Emptied hopper and checked that slide plate moved smoothy. Cleaned fines box also. Restarted on room auto, feed rate 4. Fired up, switched to manual. blazing away right now.

Reactions: Tonyray