P68 Ash Pot problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you have crappy pellets with lots of heavy clumpy ash. Thats what my stove looked like burning Michigans.
Looking at woodpellets.com tells me the Indecks are premium pellets but in the higher end for ash content at .75 to 1%

The PVC on the outside looks small like 1 1/2" or 2".

I agree with the idea of pulling the OAK off the back of the stove and see if that helps.
Open a window an inch on the other side of the house to insure plenty of burn air.

The exhuast may be 18" away from the windows when you consider it is extended out from the house a bit.

The burnpot doesn't look all that bad to me. See if the ash looks like swiss cheese due to air being pulled through
the holes.

Try burning some softwood pellets to see if it stays cleaner.

Pull the OAK off and test the stove. Also check the OAK PVC on the outside to make sure a bees nest or some type of restriction is not within the tubing.

Harmans will run anything with a decent flame to show for it... the indicator of a doodie pellet is the big moustache of ash going on with the pics shown. It's got something in it that don't bur thru and it leaves that 70's show fro of an ash clump. When you are walking by it while it is burning everyday, make a point to stop once or twice.. pop the door open while it is running (yes you can do this w/ a harman it is okay) and pull off the 'stache w/ the cleaning tool. give a little scrape to the burn pot while you are at it, to loosen up the crap surely building up underneath. 2 minutes, once a day, and it'll do what you need it to do, even w/ bad fuel.

Looking at the pics you posted the unit is burning normal. The burn pot hole are to supply combustion air for the pellets passing over, not for blowing the ash from the burnpot (though some will fly during a normal burn). Page 17 paragraph 7 (L/H side) of your P-68 M.M. states when perf. max burn feed setting you must have no less than 1" of ash between edge of burnpot and fire so pellets are not wasted, and "The 1" ash bed is only at maximum burn rate and most normal settings the ash bed will be larger". As far as the install you can find that info on page 8 paragraph B of your P-68 M.M. which states 18" circumference from flue pipe to window with use of O.A.K.. Not sure why super long pcv pipe for O.A.K. pg.10 of your M.M. only requires 12" from flue pipe. Only asking for trouble from critters making a home out of it. Hope this info is useful info.

Looks normal -- same as my Harman. Manual states if you get this much ash build up at the end of the burn pot you need to turn up the feed rate. If you are in room temp mode turn the rate to about 4. This will be the maximum feed rate and the stove will adjust as needed. The ash is pushed out of the pot into the drawer and should get smaller at the end of the pot.

Burnt the indeck pellets last year and all of this year so far. These are some of the best pellets i have found in this area. A bit of heavier ash(compared to the softwoods) but they seem to throw the heat as i have never had to run stove above the # 3 setting out of 5. Guess it could be a damp or bad pallet but they wrap them very well!( 3 layers) IDK, just my $.02

I used to scrape the burn pot of my P61 two times per day with a Wonder Bar, as if not, a nasty layer of rock-like clinker would build up in the burn pot. Not trying to be a jerk, but as other have said, that venting setup appears non compliant with code at best.

A few ideas, then what I would do:

It looks fairly normal, if the pellet is a higher ash pellet. I would ask what the chloride content is, as also that can form a more cohesive ash, much more resistant to being pushed out.

The install? Alot if intake pipe, but probs not the issue.....excessive intake pipe would be indicated where you had alot of blak soot inside the unit, oranger flame, lazier flame.

As for what I would do.......BURN A DIFFERENT PELLET! Go buy a few bags of something else, see if it makes a difference...you wont need to pull anything apart! If this makes no difference, proceed with the witch hunt. Also, push the feed rate up to 3-1/2.

Bon Chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.