P68 pellet consumption

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heat Slinger

Sep 5, 2013
NB, Canada
I ran my first bag of pellets through my P68 the other night, not real cold out just kinda damp. My stove is in a well insulated/finished basement. Had it on room temp set for around 73-74°F. Got up the next morning to find it had consumed a full bag in 10 hours. I used 1.5-2 bags a day in the dead of winter last season. Would replacing my door gasket help, or is this normal consumption for this time of year?

How cold was it outside? What temp was the room when you turned on the stove? It takes a lot of btus to heat up the thermal mass of your house. Once you get everything up to temp and keep it there then it will take fewer btus to maintain that temp.

I ran my first bag of pellets through my P68 the other night, not real cold out just kinda damp. My stove is in a well insulated/finished basement. Had it on room temp set for around 73-74°F. Got up the next morning to find it had consumed a full bag in 10 hours. I used 1.5-2 bags a day in the dead of winter last season. Would replacing my door gasket help, or is this normal consumption for this time of year?
That seems high dontcha think? I mean 1 bag for 10hrs is basically your normal rate for dead of winter. That can't be right.

How cold was it in the house when you turned it on? If it was 65 and you are raising it 9 degrees then the first bag will be the most to get it up. Maintaining the second bag would be less.

I imagine you had to heat up the entire area initially so consumed some extra pellets to get the temp up. However, just in case, where is your room temp probe located ? NOT on the cement floor I hope !

You are a basement dweller, so I assume you are attempting to heat your main level as well? Depending on what temperature you started with, it's very likely that it would take most of a bag to bring up the home to 73-74 (like others have mentioned with regards to thermo mass).

I have a P68 and heat from my basement and heat the home (3000 sq) to 73-74 as well. I can tell you without a doubt that my stove will chew through a bag if it needs to heat the home from the low-middle 60s up to 73-74. I keep my stove on a thermostat this time of year and keep it set to 73-74 all day long to avoid those long burns and even so I'll use up 3/4 to 1 bag in a 24 hour period (it may only fire up 3 or 4 times a day) with these temps to maintain my home temperatures, but it's a big house and it takes time for the heat to circulate.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.