P68 Startup Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

drc1912

Oct 23, 2018
Seattle
Hi All,

Over the past 48h I have had a new, novel problem with my p68. After a thorough, deep clean my p68 is filling with smoke upon startup, but the pellets are not igniting in the usual startup process. A thick dense smoke is being generate, and then the unit shuts down. If upon shutdown I immediately turn the dial to off, and then back to on, the blowers start, the flame is fed and it turns on normally (<5 seconds). Had the p68 for a few years and love it, just don't know what I need to do here. Anyone experience this before or have any advice?

Thank you so much!
Dan

That sounds like a weak igniter. I'd try a new one and see if that works better.

That sounds like a weak igniter. I'd try a new one and see if that works better.

Thanks so much for the quick response. I am inclined to think you are correct as I have noticed the unit taking longer and longer to light the past few months. Will get to ordering some parts!

I have noticed after I scrape the burnpot on my P68 that the stove starts slower. I thought that maybe scraping the burnpot agressively caused some of the clinker's/carbon/ash to migrate down the burnpot air holes and over the ignitor acting like a insulator for the air blowing over the ignitor.

I removed the burnpot lower cleanup door and rattled the ignitor and alot of ash fell out. I made sure none of the burnpot holes were plugged, closed the cleanout door and viola.....it lit up like normal. Maybe it was a coincidence but it worked.

Question......My P68 (2008 model) has 5 holes at the bottom of the burn pot close to the auger. Are these holes the root of all evil? I know newer P68 models abandoned these holes....for reasons unknown to me. I have a small hole that burnt thru the auger tube at the auger tip. I am going to change out the feeder weldment (there is another post I have on here asking for info). Is it possible these 5 holes contributed to the hole burnt in the auger tube. I am thinking if i am going to change the feeder weldment....i might as well upgrade to the new burnpot (without the 5 holes). Ideas anyone???