P68 Startup Issues

drc1912

Oct 23, 2018
Seattle
Hi All,

Over the past 48h I have had a new, novel problem with my p68. After a thorough, deep clean my p68 is filling with smoke upon startup, but the pellets are not igniting in the usual startup process. A thick dense smoke is being generate, and then the unit shuts down. If upon shutdown I immediately turn the dial to off, and then back to on, the blowers start, the flame is fed and it turns on normally (<5 seconds). Had the p68 for a few years and love it, just don't know what I need to do here. Anyone experience this before or have any advice?

Thank you so much!
Dan

jackman

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2013
Oregon
That sounds like a weak igniter. I'd try a new one and see if that works better.

drc1912

Oct 23, 2018
Seattle
That sounds like a weak igniter. I'd try a new one and see if that works better.
Thanks so much for the quick response. I am inclined to think you are correct as I have noticed the unit taking longer and longer to light the past few months. Will get to ordering some parts!

I have noticed after I scrape the burnpot on my P68 that the stove starts slower. I thought that maybe scraping the burnpot agressively caused some of the clinker's/carbon/ash to migrate down the burnpot air holes and over the ignitor acting like a insulator for the air blowing over the ignitor.

I removed the burnpot lower cleanup door and rattled the ignitor and alot of ash fell out. I made sure none of the burnpot holes were plugged, closed the cleanout door and viola.....it lit up like normal. Maybe it was a coincidence but it worked.

Question......My P68 (2008 model) has 5 holes at the bottom of the burn pot close to the auger. Are these holes the root of all evil? I know newer P68 models abandoned these holes....for reasons unknown to me. I have a small hole that burnt thru the auger tube at the auger tip. I am going to change out the feeder weldment (there is another post I have on here asking for info). Is it possible these 5 holes contributed to the hole burnt in the auger tube. I am thinking if i am going to change the feeder weldment....i might as well upgrade to the new burnpot (without the 5 holes). Ideas anyone???