Pacific Energy 27 Running Hot, ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
While curing the gasket cement today I noticed that the glass on the bottom right corner on the windows is dark while the rest of the glass is clean (I cleaned it last night). Could this indicate an air leak coming from that corner?
That's a sign of cutting the air back too soon or shutting the door too soon when the fire is starting. I can get that in my T5 if I'm impatient.

The plot thickens, I was checking out the dark spot on the glass when I noticed that I could see the fire through where the gasket meets the stove. I doubled up the gasket on that side of the door (hinge side) and I’m order an oem replacement now.
Pacific Energy 27 Running Hot, ideas?Pacific Energy 27 Running Hot, ideas?

Reactions: Woody Stover
Yeah, you don't want to see that. Good plan with the OEM gasket. It will be expensive, but it works well.

This is what my new T5 glass looks like after the first 24 or so hours. I was running it on low most of the time with the boost air hole coved with a magnet, I think the draft on my new chimney setup is really strong.
I was guessing the soot buildup on the glass was from being run on low but now I’m wondering if the glass gasket is leaking.
What do you all thank? Begreen?Pacific Energy 27 Running Hot, ideas?Pacific Energy 27 Running Hot, ideas?Pacific Energy 27 Running Hot, ideas?

I can get that with a low overnight burn. It clears up with a hot fire. What temp is the stove being run at? How tall is the flue system?

The chimney stack is 20’ of class A Supervent. The connector pipe is double wall which comes straight up 30+” than (2) 45s with over 12” between them, then a chimney adapter and 18” class a horizontal run to the tee.
The stove was turned down all the way for a while and then opened up a little before going to sleep. Boost hole covered with magnet. Damper open.

Sounds good. This is almost identical to our setup, but we have the T6. I am going to put a damper on the stovepipe this summer but not because it needs it. I just want to see how it changes the behavior of the stove. Even with the damper open, there is some reduction of the draft. If outdoor temps are mild, it could make for a lazy fire.

Blackened glass on PE stoves is a common online complaint, and my Neo 2.5 blackened the glass every fire.
I have a new stove now and the glass stays astonishingly clean at all times, even after multiple, long fires with the air completely closed.

Blackened glass on PE stoves is a common online complaint, and my Neo 2.5 blackened the glass every fire.
I have a new stove now and the glass stays astonishingly clean at all times, even after multiple, long fires with the air completely closed.
I've only heard this on the Neo's, particularly the 2.5. It's not common with a properly run Summit or Super but possible if it's mild outside and the fire is choked down a lot.

I've only heard this on the Neo's, particularly the 2.5. It's not common with a properly run Summit or Super but possible if it's mild outside and the fire is choked down a lot.
That's fair, and you're right I've only heard the complaint for the Neos and the the other stove using the 2.5 firebox (there is an Alberni over here which is based on the 2.5).

Tom.

Our stove glass typically gets cleaned only a few times a season. It gets hazy over time, but not blackened.

Reactions: TomMcDonald
I'm 17' straight up, 12 feet of Class A. I run a damper on mine. When it gets into the negative teens and 20s it can draft pretty hard.

I run the stove low and get the little smudges in the corners. I never worried about it.

Yep, my SIL's T5 glass stays very clean.