Pacific Energy FP30 Corner Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fordtrucknut

Nov 24, 2015
missouri
In the process of installing the FP30 too. Going to go with an aged brick around it.
I added 12ga steel to the floor and around the backsides of the stove, probably overkill but its just a little reassurance.
(20oz Water bottle as a size comparison, its a lot bigger than pictures make it out to be)

Attachments

• Pacific Energy FP30 Corner Install
    20170418_171214.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 402
Reactions: saydinli
In the process of installing the FP30 too. Going to go with an aged brick around it.
I added 12ga steel to the floor and around the backsides of the stove, probably overkill but its just a little reassurance.
(20oz Water bottle as a size comparison, its a lot bigger than pictures make it out to be)

You're going to love the FP30. As for the steel around it. Yes its probably overkill but there's nothing wrong with a little reassurance if its going to give you some piece of mind.

Tough for me to tell for sure on my phone..are the rear standoffs missing? Did you maintain the required clearance to combustibles?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Tough for me to tell for sure on my phone..are the rear standoffs missing? Did you maintain the required clearance to combustibles?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Good eye. They aren't there. I didn't notice that at first glance. The required clearance on the sides is 0" with the standoff's and 1" in the back. I'm not sure if the steel panels would be a valid replacement for the 7" clearance provided by the standoffs.
Here's the framing clearances required from the manual..

Pacific Energy FP30 Corner Install

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved to a new thread so that installation specifics and questions are not lost in older threads.

Good eye. They aren't there. I didn't notice that at first glance. The required clearance on the sides is 0" with the standoff's and 1" in the back. I'm not sure if the steel panels would be a valid replacement for the 7" clearance provided by the standoffs.
Here's the framing clearances required from the manual..

View attachment 197058
The steel panels don't qualify for any clearance reduction. That would be measured to the nearest combustible behind the steel. The corner installation diagram shows 5 3/8" needed at the rear corners. At the very beginning of the clearances section there is this notice:
Warning: Install stand-offs using supplied hardware before placing fireplace in it's final position.

Reactions: bfast250
You'reright the stand offs are not on there,
I plan on putting them back on, maybe.
This picture was just taken for mock up,
There is going to be fire retardant drywall behind the steel and I'm thinking of putting some 1/4" thick 12 wide plate at the rear corners.
While I cannot recommend this install, as someone with knowledge in metal working, the chances of a fire from heat transfer is non existent.
Im going run it in about a week to take some surface temperatures before i make my final decision.

Good to hear that this is just a mockup. Even with the drywall the clearances remain the same. With the standoffs properly installed, the installation will have tested and safe clearances. You could line the interior with 1/2" cement board like Durock for extra peace of mind. That's better than sheetrock or steel.