Pacific Energy Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dblcrona

Dec 1, 2018
Manheim, PA
I have an insert in my fireplace that is probably from the 1970's and is showing its age. While it throws some serious heat I'm certain that there are more efficient units available. Also, the hinges on the door are so worn that the door drops an inch when you open the latch. I want to buy a new one and although I haven't done tons of research I am leaning toward a Pacific Super insert. It seems to be a nice unit and was hoping to get some feedback from others who have one or know something about wood burning inserts.

My house is a 1600 square foot split level and the fireplace resides on the first level in the Family Room. The house is designed so the heat travels to the adjacent dining room, kitchen and Lv room which are 1/2 level higher and open to the Family Room. From there the heat can travel up the stairs to the upper level. I am looking for something that will heat the whole house if the weather gets too cold for the heat pump to be efficient or if the HP breaks down. I would like something with the long burn times (8 hours or more) because I get about a 2 hour burn in my old stove even with the flu closed.

What can you tell me about the Pacific or any other units that you might recommend? Thanks a lot for your input.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Ken. The Super is a great stove and it will get the job done. In shoulder season 10 hr burns are reasonable. Member @Dix has one. However, if it will fit, for whole house heating I would also consider putting in a Summit. The Enviro Kodiak 1700 is also a good insert to look at.

The reason for suggesting a larger insert is for more reserve heat during low-digit, cold weather.

Last edited:
Does your current insert have a liner running from it out the top of the chimney?

No, there is no chimney liner. We will be getting one with our next insert.
Good. And make sure the existing chimney is cleaned properly. Expect that cleaning to cost quite a bit it is probably going to be a mess

I don't know about the insert, but I think it's based on the same box as my SIL's new T5. I'm impressed with what I've seen of the stove so far.