Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 vs Neo 1.6 for 1300 sq/ft house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

troy-pit

Sep 13, 2015
Everett WA
I was looking at the pacific energy neo 2.5 and neo 1.6 stoves. The neo 2.5 is rated for 1500-2300 sq/ft while the neo 1.6 is rated at 700-1500 sq/ft. Was wondering what would work best for my 1300 sq/ft rambler. Will the neo 2.5 burn us out. Will the neo 1.6 be too small. Any ideas. Can you adjust the heat output with these non-cat stoves or is it just load and burn. I think that the non cat stoves would work best for the pacific northwest where we have basically a winter that is just a long shoulder season with a few cold days mixed in.

So as an owner of a PE stove what is your opinion begreen. I had read that thread and am still confused. Never
owned any kind of fireplace before and do not want to get the wrong one and regret it later.
Thanks.

Personally I like PE stove's KISS design. I am less familiar with the Neo's than the Super27 and Summit fireboxes. I've only burned in those fireboxes. PE stoves have a novel baffle design that is efficient, tough and simple. This facilitates cleaning and can stand up to knocks when putting in too much wood. PE also regulates the secondary supply for a longer burn on the 2 cu ft and larger stoves. The Neo 1.6 also has the EBT. One important advantage of their 2.0 and larger stoves is the square firebox. The greater firebox depth allows one to load N/S instead of E/W. N/S loading has the advantage of quicker starts and no worries about logs rolling into the glass.

If you have time, take a trip up to Bellingham and stop in at Tom Oyen's shop - The ChimneySweep - 913 Harris Ave. It's a classic stove shop and Tom knows more about PE stoves than just about anyone. If you don't have time, at least check out the stove website online.

Last edited:
I have the Neo 1.6 insert and a 2,500 sq ft colonial, I had to go with the 1.6 because of a clearance issue (and I wanted a flush mount stove). If I close the bedroom doors upstairs I have no problems heating the house on a cold day, cold being in the teens........on a "warmer" day 40's - 50's, sometimes it actually gets too hot and I have to turn the blowers off.

I talked to Tom and he praises the neo and said I should definitely go with the neo 2.5 over neo 1.6 due to not having to load as often and better heat. Sounds like a good stove. Sits up high so a better view of the fire. I asked about issue I read hear where the neo was creaking on heat up/cool down. He said this is just an issue with all steel stoves heating up and cooling down and really not much of an issue as far as he was concerned. He definitely recommends a non-cat in the pacific northwest due to climate and sometimes we get inversion zones where drafts are affected and a non-cat will work much better.

Been burning our 1.6 PE Neo stove now for a few months and am still in love with it! We have an overhead fan and high ceilings, 15 - 18 ft in areas. I am really glad we did not get the blower as we have plenty of heat in our upstairs main floor, about 1000 sq ft or so. Such an easy stove to operate.
Jules 20190419_100820.jpg

Reactions: joneo and begreen
2.5 all the way