Pacific Energy neo 2.5 wood stove review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

saberbass

Feb 20, 2020
Brandon, MB, Canada
Hello everyone, I did not see a lot of information on this stove so I thought I would do a review for anyone else who might be considering it. First I want to thank all the good people here with all their great contributions and knowledge. I have never owned a wood stove before but with all of the information here it made easy and enjoyable.
First my house set up and need. I have a 1200 sq ft bungalow with full finished basement built in 1977, on 2 acres. We have an electric furnace and some baseboards for heat. Our family room in the basement is hard to keep warm in the winter so a wood stove made sense for heat and a back up in case the power ever goes out. Our only option was to put it in the corner with 2 90 degree elbows and an outside chimney. I was worried about the stack effect and smoke in the house and whether the stove would overwhelm the basement room and cook us out.

We chose the P.E. neo 2.5, and these are some of the things that drew us to this stove. I love the modern look, the firebox sits up high with a big glass window so we have a great view of the fire. Also makes for easy loading and cleaning. It has storage for logs underneath, and it has a trivet that can be removed for cooking if needed. It can be placed as close as 3 in. to corner combustibles with the double stove pipe. Most important was the reputation of P.E. stoves and the quality of the build.

So we purchased and had installed this fall and I have been running it evenings and weekends since then. I do cold starts every day. I build the log cabin top-down fire, open the window beside the stove and run a hairdryer over the baffle for a few minutes top to preheat the flue. I have never had a problem with smoke in the house using this method. The first fire is to heat the flue up to 600 degrees and bring the stovetop to 700 degrees. The next load starts to heat the room. Its generally 60 degrees down there and I can bring it up to 75 in about 2 hours. We have an open staircase from the family room up to the living room. So as things warm up the heat rises up to the living room and colder air circulates down back to the stove . Because of this the basement never gets too hot. We had a really cold spell of -40 c for a week so I ran the stove pretty hot and it kicked out the heat really well. I don't have the highest btu wood but I would load it up with 4 big splits of birch and get those secondary's going like little rockets. As far as burn times go I can get 3 1/2 hours of fire with another 2 1/2 of hot coals before the stove temp drops. If you had oak you could probably get longer times. Because the firebox is 14 in deep by 19 wide you cant load north south with regular splits. The air control works very well with a wide range of movement but it's mostly full open 1/2 way or shut down for me.

So my thoughts are its a very well-made stove. Its a serious heater that can run very hot but can run well at 1/2 loads . Because of the firebox I would say it's not practical for overnight burn . I love the big glass and view of the fire but it does get dirty on the left hand corner as other people have mentioned. Overall I have been extremely happy with my purchase and the warmth it has brought to the house. Last thing is I'm amazed by how much heat can be extracted from 3 logs , but I warn you it can be addictive to have that nice fire always going.

Hope this helps anyone considering this stove. Cheers.

Reactions: PAbeech and MR. GLO
Thanks for the update. I think with time and experience you will get much longer burntimes. The stove is quite capable of an overnight burn of 8+hrs. If, however, the stove is being pushed for a lot of heat to move the house temp up 10-15º then yes, the burntime will be much shorter. It takes a lot of heat to warm up all the mass of a house interior.

Are the flue temps via a probe on double-wall or single-wall surface stovepipe temperature?

SBI double wall probe and an SBI on the stove top under the trivet. Also I don't have the best wood , pine, poplar and birch. True I haven't tried to load it really tight because I'm always around when running it.

I'm going to be looking for some oak this spring , so in the future I'll have some heavier wood for those cold winter nights.

Do you have pictures you can upload? I'm curious about the left hand side getting dirty and how dirty it gets. I wonder if better seasoned wood would prevent this?

Whoops was supposed to be a picture. This is after a night of burning. It wipes clean with water and ash. Wood is below 20 percent moisture. Really the only complaint about a great stove.

Hello everyone, I did not see a lot of information on this stove so I thought I would do a review for anyone else who might be considering it. First I want to thank all the good people here with all their great contributions and knowledge. I have never owned a wood stove before but with all of the information here it made easy and enjoyable.
First my house set up and need. I have a 1200 sq ft bungalow with full finished basement built in 1977, on 2 acres. We have an electric furnace and some baseboards for heat. Our family room in the basement is hard to keep warm in the winter so a wood stove made sense for heat and a back up in case the power ever goes out. Our only option was to put it in the corner with 2 90 degree elbows and an outside chimney. I was worried about the stack effect and smoke in the house and whether the stove would overwhelm the basement room and cook us out.

We chose the P.E. neo 2.5, and these are some of the things that drew us to this stove. I love the modern look, the firebox sits up high with a big glass window so we have a great view of the fire. Also makes for easy loading and cleaning. It has storage for logs underneath, and it has a trivet that can be removed for cooking if needed. It can be placed as close as 3 in. to corner combustibles with the double stove pipe. Most important was the reputation of P.E. stoves and the quality of the build.

So we purchased and had installed this fall and I have been running it evenings and weekends since then. I do cold starts every day. I build the log cabin top-down fire, open the window beside the stove and run a hairdryer over the baffle for a few minutes top to preheat the flue. I have never had a problem with smoke in the house using this method. The first fire is to heat the flue up to 600 degrees and bring the stovetop to 700 degrees. The next load starts to heat the room. Its generally 60 degrees down there and I can bring it up to 75 in about 2 hours. We have an open staircase from the family room up to the living room. So as things warm up the heat rises up to the living room and colder air circulates down back to the stove . Because of this the basement never gets too hot. We had a really cold spell of -40 c for a week so I ran the stove pretty hot and it kicked out the heat really well. I don't have the highest btu wood but I would load it up with 4 big splits of birch and get those secondary's going like little rockets. As far as burn times go I can get 3 1/2 hours of fire with another 2 1/2 of hot coals before the stove temp drops. If you had oak you could probably get longer times. Because the firebox is 14 in deep by 19 wide you cant load north south with regular splits. The air control works very well with a wide range of movement but it's mostly full open 1/2 way or shut down for me.

So my thoughts are its a very well-made stove. Its a serious heater that can run very hot but can run well at 1/2 loads . Because of the firebox I would say it's not practical for overnight burn . I love the big glass and view of the fire but it does get dirty on the left hand corner as other people have mentioned. Overall I have been extremely happy with my purchase and the warmth it has brought to the house. Last thing is I'm amazed by how much heat can be extracted from 3 logs , but I warn you it can be addictive to have that nice fire always going.

Hope this helps anyone considering this stove. Cheers.
Thank you for your review, that's very helpful! We're going to purchase a Neo 2.5 soon for our new house. Total newbie here, but which side panels did you choose and why? We just want black ones, but are there any advantages to painted steel vs. porcelain or vice versa? Also, in another post you mentioned home insurance. Do you have to add some kind of wood stove/fire insurance? Thanks so much for your help.

I got the standard black panels. I liked the way it looks and I don't think the other panels improve any heating advantages to the stove. As far as insurance, yes I added a wood stove to our policy, it was pretty easy with a wett inspection. This is my first wood stove and I have to say I love it. This is our second year and I have been burning every day from 3pm till midnight. It has been in the -20 c for the last 2 months here in Manitoba. Throws out serious heat, well built, and looks great doing it.

We purchased the neo 2.5 insert this summer with the all black surround. It's a very sharp looking stove/insert. You will love the large viewing glass. This is not our primary heat source but I turn the furnace off when there is a fire going. I've been running a fire all day and right now its 10 F outside but 75 inside and my house doesn't have insulation in the walls. It throws out the heat. It doesn't hurt that we have a small house. I'm new to wood burning so I'm still learning the ins and outs but having a blast doing it. It is addictive.

We purchased the neo 2.5 insert this summer with the all black surround. It's a very sharp looking stove/insert. You will love the large viewing glass. This is not our primary heat source but I turn the furnace off when there is a fire going. I've been running a fire all day and right now its 10 F outside but 75 inside and my house doesn't have insulation in the walls. It throws out the heat. It doesn't hurt that we have a small house. I'm new to wood burning so I'm still learning the ins and outs but having a blast doing it. It is addictive.
Great! Glad to hear you're liking it. Did you get the black painted steel side panels or the black porcelain side panels?

I do over night burns in my little PE fp16 (1.6cu ft box). I typically start loading at 830-900pm normally 5 big splits(e/w loaded) and i always have coals for a re light at 530am. One thing i really have to do for next winter is season some whole unsplit logs that i can use for my over night burns as recommended in the manual.

Did anyone with a wood stove (rather than an insert) get a blower? We are probably going to skip the blower and just use a ceiling fan to keep things simple (less things to repair, etc). This seems to work well for my husband's parents. Any thoughts on a blower?

I didn't bother with the blower, you can always add it after. A lot of the heat comes directly out of the front glass . The radiant heat circulates pretty good without any fan going. Where will your stove be located?
Good to know, thanks! Our stove will be in the living room on the main level. All bedrooms are upstairs.

Good to know, thanks! Our stove will be in the living room on the main level. All bedrooms are upstairs.
Most every house and stove location are different. Try it out and see how it works in your house.

We have an open floorplan and only use the blower when it's very cold out or we need to warm things up quickly. Most of the time it's off, but it's nice to have when you want it for a boost or to even out heat distribution.

Reactions: BradyBunch
Does anyone with the neo 2.5 have insane amounts of expansion and contraction on start up and when fire is going out. When fire is going out it pings every minute for hours and hours. Wakes me up. I’ve tried adjusting the baffle and the heat shields and it’s still doing it. Freestanding stove - no blower.

That's crazy. I'd be demanding a refund. There's a lot of negatives with these stoves which can be overlooked by that clicking would be a deal breaker for me

I have an insert . I have a few rapid pings on initial startup. That's it. Nothing like those sounds in the video.

I have an insert . I have a few rapid pings on initial startup. That's it. Nothing like those sounds in the video.
Originally there was about 300 of these a day. I found a few issues with the baffle and contact with the top heat shield which I fixed and now have got it down to only happening at start up and cool down. They are trying to replace the baffle and heat shield but it now seems to be coming from the actual top of the stove. Ran it without the baffle in and it still did it. The surface vibrates when it pings. It’s so disappointing. It’s in a new house that I have built for the last 2 years and I have based my clearances on this stove so if it doesn’t work then I will need to find another one with the same clearances. Refuse to have a 45 pipe. So annoying. I do see other issues like the insane amount of draft. I had to half block one of the boost hole vents to be able to damper the stove down. For the $$ I shouldn’t have to do all these modifications. The only positive about the stove is the height and easy to light. Wish more wood stoves were taller like this.

That does sound a lot louder than mine . I usually have the t.v on and don't really notice it too much on start up , more on cool down. Funny I never gave too much thought about it because were heating the stove up from 60 f to 700 f so there is going to be a fair amount of expansion. I'm on my 3rd year of heating almost every evening from oct to april and am impressed with this stove. I will video mine sometime this week and put it up so you can compare.