Pacific Energy Old Super D ( 1993 ) vs. 2015 Alderlea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodScrounger

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario
I am trying to replace my old ( 1993) PE Super D insert. I bought a used Summit A series and didn't check my measurements close enough (duh) and it doesn't fit . I would like to buy a new Summit LE as the new series are smaller but I'm not sure it fits my budget for this year. I found an Alderlea advertised and I'm wondering how it would compare to my old Super D in terms of output. I really wanted to go as large as I could because we are heating a 2000 sq ft 2 story farmhouse. The house has some improvements and I do have an oil burner but hate to fill the tank.
If some users of the Alderlea insert could give some opinions as to whether they think it might do the job for me I'd appreciate it . Thanks

If this is the Alderlea T5 insert then I wouldn't expect a giant increase in output. It will be more efficient, but not by a big amount. For larger output more fuel capacity from a larger firebox is going to be needed.

A couple of things that might make a bigger difference would be putting in an insulated block-off plate in the damper area and some insulation behind the insert if possible.

I installed a block off plate last year to try to get a bit more heat out of my Super series .
Well, I bit the bullet I paid a deposit on a new Summit LE . Just waiting now for it to come in a few weeks. I can hardly wait.
While I’m waiting I was thinking about how to monitor stove temps. I have a flex liner so I guess I’m stuck with just a stove thermometer above the middle of the door or are there some other great ideas out there?

My choice would be a digital thermometer the has a probe with a washer end which could be held by the appliance adapter band clamp.