Pacific Energy stove rear ember protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

keever86

Mar 2, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I'm struggling to find a clear answer on some information in the manual for my PE Super 27. This is related to a Canadian installation, with just a wall to the back (i.e. not an angled corner installation).

For a double wall stove pipe, the minimum rear clearance of the stove to combustibles is required to be 5". However in Canada, the extension of the floor ember protection from the rear of the stove is required to be 8".

Do I correctly understand that even with a double wall stove pipe, the ember protection requires that I have at least 8" behind the stove? Does anyone have a clear answer on that?

Yes, the manual specifically calls out the Canadian hearth requirement of 8" hearth protection to the rear and sides of the stove.

Yes, the manual specifically calls out the Canadian hearth requirement of 8" hearth protection to the rear and sides of the stove.
Thanks. I mentioned it to an installer I was getting a quote from a couple months back or so, and I thought I understood from him that it could be closer.

However, I looked at the label on the back of my stove, and being an older model it looks like I actually need 8" back clearance regardless!

Just to update this thread, as far as I know (at least in Canada) the most recent version of CSA B365 clarifies this topic. As far as I understand it, if the stove clearance allows for closer to the back wall than the ember protection requirement, the ember protection simply needs to extend all the way to the wall.

If someone knows if I'm wrong, please correct me lest someone follow incorrect information!!

Sounds correct, but it's really up to how the WETT inspector interprets the code. Have a printout of CSA B365 handy.