pacific energy summit boost air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

diverscale

Dec 28, 2017
Québec
I have searched pretty extensively since I have got my summit, and even used a flashlight and a mirror to try to understand the ''boost air'' system, but no avail.

I know there is that ''boost air cover'' that is removable to clean the boost air holes and surroundings, but from below, through the main air intake, I cannot see any channels going to those holes. All I can see is a smaller (approx 1/4'') drilled hole beside my main intake, but it seems to be a calibration hole, as it goes through the same channel as main air.

I also cannot figure out when does the ''boost air'' stops in the travel of my air draft controls. Does it stop at 50%? Does it ever stop? Does it always have the same draft, or is it influenced by my main draft controls?

I think PE should have done a better job explaining this.

Anyone has figured this out yet?

I've been burning in a PE Pacific with a boost baffle for 9 years. I heated my house solo for 6 years. I'd say PE has done a good job in design, IMHO.

The boost baffle needs to be clean of ash & debris.

When you shut the air down on the front, you should do it in increments. The air will never be totally off in this style of a PE.

And, I hope you are burning seasoned firewood.

Welcome to the forums !

Thank you for the welcome.

Still, that does not explain how the ''boost air'' system works. There is the main air intake, which washes down the door's window, as in pretty much every wood stove, but then I still have not found any explanation on the supplementary boost air system, ie: where is the boost air intake, how it is controlled (via main draft?), how is the boost air manifold fed? etc...

https://www.pacificenergy.net/files/2013/7408/6737/maintenance4.jpg

The boost baffle is fed from the front control.. Again, it never totally shuts down.

On the Summit C I think the boost air is fed from a manifold with 6 holes in it under the front center of the stove. But that may only be on the insert? In the older Summit A the EBT fed the boost air.

Reactions: diverscale
On my new summit stove, it is also a manifold with 6 holes, under a cover. But, nowhere it is indicated where is the feed air coming this manifold? Is it controlled by my main air intake control, or somewhere else.

Just read the post from Dix, so that would mean the ''boost'' air is not really a boost, since it is always active and fed, at the same rate as the main air entrance which is the window air wash.

Though, with a flashlight and a mirror, I could not locate any connection from the main intake manifold to the ''boost manifold'' looking into main air intake hole. I am still sceptical.

I don't know all stove designs but on some the boost air is not regulated.

I believe the boost part is that when you close down the primary air the draft pulls the same for whatever the given conditions are and so therefore pulls more air through the secondary system as the primary is closed off. Hence the 'boost'.

I believe the boost part is that when you close down the primary air the draft pulls the same for whatever the given conditions are and so therefore pulls more air through the secondary system as the primary is closed off. Hence the 'boost'.
No, this is a separate intake and output from the secondary air. The output is at the bottom front of the stove. On your Summit there is an L shaped boost air cover that hangs on the ashlip. It has holes in it that direct air toward the base of the fire.

Ahh I see. Thanks for explaining.

No, this is a separate intake and output from the secondary air. The output is at the bottom front of the stove. On your Summit there is an L shaped boost air cover that hangs on the ashlip. It has holes in it that direct air toward the base of the fire.

if I understand well, on my pacific energy summit wood stove, the ''boost air'' is not controllable, and is not linked at all at my main air intake? So, if I was to blow compressed air through the secondary intake or EBT, I would sense air blowing through the front boost air holes? Thank you!

if I understand well, on my pacific energy summit wood stove, the ''boost air'' is not controllable, and is not linked at all at my main air intake? So, if I was to blow compressed air through the secondary intake or EBT, I would sense air blowing through the front boost air holes? Thank you!
No, not unless you have a Summit A stove. The secondary air EBT on the Summit B and C is a separate inlet. This wouldn't affect boost air at all, but might damage the EBT flapper.

Reactions: diverscale
No, not unless you have a Summit A stove. The secondary air EBT on the Summit B and C is a separate inlet. This wouldn't affect boost air at all, but might damage the EBT flapper.

Since mine was made in 2017, I guess it is the latest C model. Do you have any idea where my front bottom boost air is drawn from? I am trying to understand this stove, which works real well by the way!

Ive always been under the impression it was supplied by that 1/4" hole you saw by the primary intake hole, unregulatable