Pacific Energy Super 27 Secondaries and Temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mikewelland

Jan 5, 2015
earth
Hey all,

I have a Super 27 Pacific Energy wood stove and had had it for a while, just curious as to how to load it (fill it right full or not) and how the secondary's look.
I have attached a photo to show what the stove is running at. I have always been told to keep flue temps between 400 and 600 degrees (I have a probe thermometer 18 inches above the stove) but once I close her down (the air) and start burning secondary's, the flue temp could drop to 300 degrees or less.

Also recently had a chimney sweep come out and he told me not to really look at flue temps but to pay attention to what the fire looks like, also I do not have a stove top thermometer but was looking at getting one. (should I get one and if yes where do I place it)

thanks in advance guys, see attached photo of what the stove looks like in "cruising mode" I could take a short video but that photo shows when secondaries are burning down
81909767_584695229033020_2938852598016376832_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all,

I have a Super 27 Pacific Energy wood stove and had had it for a while, just curious as to how to load it (fill it right full or not) and how the secondary's look.
I have attached a photo to show what the stove is running at. I have always been told to keep flue temps between 400 and 600 degrees (I have a probe thermometer 18 inches above the stove) but once I close her down (the air) and start burning secondary's, the flue temp could drop to 300 degrees or less.

Also recently had a chimney sweep come out and he told me not to really look at flue temps but to pay attention to what the fire looks like, also I do not have a stove top thermometer but was looking at getting one. (should I get one and if yes where do I place it)

thanks in advance guys, see attached photo of what the stove looks like in "cruising mode" I could take a short video but that photo shows when secondaries are burning downView attachment 255004
I find flue temps are the best way to run a stove. If you are using a probe 300 is a bit low though.

Hey all,

thanks in advance guys, see attached photo of what the stove looks like in "cruising mode" I could take a short video but that photo shows when secondaries are burning down.
That is a healthy looking fire with good secondary combustion. If the probe was reading 300º at that point I would question the accuracy of the probe. It's always a good idea to do a visual verification. Instrumentation is good, but I have found that probe readings are quite lethargic. On a fire just starting I have seen when comparing with a digital probe, situations where the dial probe read 300º and the flue gas temp read by the other probe was 600º. Eventually the magnetic probe will slowly catch up, but it is very slow in comparison.

Reactions: Wiess
Your fire looks like an east west loading. I find a north south loading of the wood leads to a more stable higher temperature burn.