Pacific Energy Super 27 Stuck Air Controller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TMACK41

Dec 21, 2021
Adirondacks
This is a 1990 version of the PE Super 27. The air controller slide on the front right of the stove is almost impossible to move. I can get it to move by
hitting the little black knob with a piece of firewood but this will eventually break something. I was able to get the controller cover plate off just enough
to see a long spring type connector that feeds down through a curved tube into the area below the firebox . I had to remove the ash tray in order to see that
this spring connects to a horizontal plate that controls air entering the firebox. I suspect that the spring type connector is binding within that curved tube.
Anyone have any ideas on loosening things up. I'm not sure how to take that mechanism apart. Thanks very much.

I think this stove has a linkage that ties the front, primary air valve to a rear secondary intake port valve. But back in 1990 I am not sure. It may not be on this old model Can you verify? If so, the first thing to check is whether there is soot and debris piled up on the rear secondary valve. This can happen if the chimney was swept with the baffle removed and nothing was stuffed in the secondary tube to prevent crud from falling down into it.

However, the real old models had a side air control instead of under the ashlip. Is this the case with your stove? If so, you can try spraying silicone spray down the tube to lubricated it.

Can you get a cell phone or a mirror picture of the assembly?

Thanks for your reply. It is as you described in you first sentence. I'm not sure what I did but moving the front controller around and tapping things, freed it up. I also put some anti-seize compound on as much of the choke cable looking connector between the controller
and the primary air valve.as possible. Thanks again.

Reactions: begreen
Good news. I'm happy to hear it got unstuck.

I have the new model, the Super Classic. My air control lever I just noticed feels like it is scraping. I have a nice fire going right now and moved it back and forth a few times and it went smooth but then again started moving with slightly more friction. I don't want to break it with a hot fire going. Any thoughts what it could be? I'll take a close look in the morning. I do have more than the usual amount of ashes in the stove. I usually clean out before every cold start but i have been burning constantly for a couple days, so havent cleaned the stove out yet. Maybe this could be it?

It's a simple blade valve. If you have a can of pressurized air, blow on it to clean out any debris that might have gotten trapped. Then, with the fire completely out, spray that area with silicone.

Pull the ash drawer and you should be able to see the linkage. You may be able to see the part that is catching. I've had good luck with the graphite spray lubes. After the volatiles evaporate, the graphite powder is left. I make sure to hit my door latch every fall, as that's the area I've had trouble with. Once I started adding that to my maintenance routine I stopped having problems with it.