Pacific Energy Super Standard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JakeSmells

Jul 10, 2021
Looking for a used lower clearance wood stove. Money is tight right now. I found a 1990 Pacific Energy Super Standard pretty close to home for $200. It looks to be in fair shape aside from some surface rust. I haven't seen it in person. Is it worth taking a look or is it too old?
Thanks

It's an oldie and there have been notable improvements. Most importantly have been changing over to a stainless baffle and side rails. I think this stove can still accept a more current stainless baffle though, but that will cost.
If you go to look at it or get pictures, examine the baffle and side rails for warping, distortion or rot.

Reactions: JakeSmells
I would suggest the same things as suggested by begreen but would additionally check the flame shield for burn out which is above the baffle as well (it partially interjects with the 6 in. exhaust collar), check the door for heat warping and the door handle for looseness.