Pacific Energy - Vista - Whatcha Think?

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
I've got an Englander 30 in a smallish home - 1600 sq.ft. It was a great fit when our house had zero insulation and single pane windows...and we were heating with wood 100%. Our house is now insulated and with double pane windows and is a lot more air tight than it used to be. We also burn on occasion now, some nights and weekends. The Englander 30 is just a heat monster and cooks us out of the house.

We are in the market for a smaller stove with tight installation clearances. Doesn't have to heat overnight as it is supplementary. Just want a good quality stove with a <2.0 cuft firebox that costs around $1,500 or less.

The Pacific Energy Vista / Vista LE seems to fit the bill. Very tight corner clearances with double wall pipe and can meet the 2020 EPA rules if I get the LE model. What do you all think about this stove? Any other options that fit my criteria above?

Thanks! And its good to be back....been a while!

saydinli

Burning Hunk
Nov 6, 2016
Near Fergus Ontario
I've got an Englander 30 in a smallish home - 1600 sq.ft. It was a great fit when our house had zero insulation and single pane windows...and we were heating with wood 100%. Our house is now insulated and with double pane windows and is a lot more air tight than it used to be. We also burn on occasion now, some nights and weekends. The Englander 30 is just a heat monster and cooks us out of the house.

We are in the market for a smaller stove with tight installation clearances. Doesn't have to heat overnight as it is supplementary. Just want a good quality stove with a <2.0 cuft firebox that costs around $1,500 or less.

The Pacific Energy Vista / Vista LE seems to fit the bill. Very tight corner clearances with double wall pipe and can meet the 2020 EPA rules if I get the LE model. What do you all think about this stove? Any other options that fit my criteria above?

Thanks! And its good to be back....been a while!
I don't think you can go wrong with any of PE's wood stoves. They are very robust in construction and simple to use. Personally I love the secondary burn the PE's display with they're baffle design.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Yes, and they made them hybrid PE baffle/tube stoves now. Quite different from the Super and Summit design.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
They have added tubes? I wonder what that achieves over the PE baffle alone?
More complete combustion over the burn range would be my guess.

AlbergSteve

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
We had a Vista in the current house that I used during our renovations. Really too small for anything other than fish camp or hunting cabin. The firebox is so small that it was more of a PITA than anything. Too bad you weren't closer, you could have this one...;lol

pjohnson

Burning Hunk
Oct 2, 2013
I had an older vista in a cabin I bought. The fire box was so small had to cut all my previously cut wood in half. It did burn nice but had to feed it every three hours. I can’t really say anything bad about it just didn’t suit my needs trying to heat a cabin as the only heat source.

Reactions: AlbergSteve

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I think the PE Super is a better fit. It has a much more flexible firebox for loading, good long burn-time, simpler design, and will have the reserve capacity for when temps drop into the single-digits.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
I don't post often, but I had one.. I upgraded to the summet the very next year.. if you can fit it, do the summet..
I'm now part of the bk mafia though in a new to me house..

billb3

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2007
SE Mass
A 1.6 cu ft firebox might seem a bit of a novelty after the beastly NC-30.
My concern would be the unlikely but possible scenario of 0º weather and the power going out for three days.
Will a 1.6 cu ft firebox be enough ? 56,000BTU when you need 70,000BTU might be enough with the right floor plan house. Especially if you can close off rooms at night.
If you have a generator that's going to keep your primary heat running then emergency use might be less of a demand or consideration.
Would a True North TN20 fit on the hearth ?

We had a tiny 0.6 cu ft stove that was used mostly just on weekends, Fri/Sat night that was just enough to warm up the two rooms it was in a little bit warmer than the thermostat on the regular heat was set at. It wasn't very serious burning at that time. The Vista should suit that sort of purpose well.

I can say that after having too large a stove in a space the theory of building small fires in a large stove is bunk.
Buy the right size stove for your engineered need.

DBoon

Minister of Fire
Jan 14, 2009
Central NY
Doesn't have to heat overnight as it is supplementary. Just want a good quality stove with a <2.0 cuft firebox that costs around $1,500 or less.
You seem to know what you need and want. PE stoves are well-built and high quality. I too have a smallish house and use my stove as supplemental heat. I'm also not planning for the apocalypse by getting a stove that is twice as big as I need. What I have has worked fine for my needs for 12+ years.