Pacific Energy vs. Enerzone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Close to Nature

Jun 16, 2017
Ontario
We have recently moved into a new home (1176sq ft... one floor) and we have narrowed down our decision on a woodstove from two local providers between a Pacific Energy Super 27 (or perhaps Summit)... and an Enerzone Solution 2.3. We would appreciate any feedback regarding these two stoves and/or the companies... as we want to make a wise, long term decision with our stove. Thank you in advance.

Never heard of Enerzone before. The stove you mentioned has claimed efficiencies in the high 60s-low 70s though, and a claimed burn time of 8 hours for a 2.3 cf firebox. Wouldn't touch that with a stick.

The PEs have some fans here.

Enerzone is an SBI stove. It is a variation on the mid-sized Osburn/Drolet. I haven't heard any complaints about them. The Super27 and Summit are well designed heaters. They have a different baffle system and a squarish firebox that makes it easier to load N/S. You're heating a relatively small space so I would lean toward the Super 27 or Alderlea T5 if choosing a PE stove. The Summit would be overkill unless the house is leaky, poorly insulated and has a lot of glass area.

Last edited:
Enerzone is an SBI stove. It is a variation on the mid-sized Osburn/Drolet. I haven't heard any complaints about them. The Super27 and Summit are well designed heaters. They have a different baffle system and a squarish firebox that makes it easier to load N/S. You're heating a relatively small space so I would lean toward the Super 27 or Alderlea T5 if choosing a PE stove. The Summit would be overkill unless the house is leaky, poorly insulated and has a lot of glass area.
In your opinion, would the Summit still be overkill if in the future we planned on putting an addition onto the home, mainly a family room (and maybe a guest room)? It is a pre-fab home, but built in 2016 so it is newer construction (better insulation etc).

Could go either way depending on the addition size, ceiling height, floorplan and how open the addition is to the main house. If it is say 600 sq ft then in your climate zone the Summit could work out ok.

However, it might get a bit toasty until that addition was added or temps dropped into the low digits.

I'd think the T-5, super would still heat well after the addition. My reasoning is you have a well insulated house, and you'll probably insulate the addition well too.

You may want to wait a year on the stove in order to get a better idea of the house's heating requirements. Then you can make a better informed decision.

Regardless of whether you wait or not, you will want to put your wood up NOW! You want the wood to be as dry as possible and firewood dealers often have a different definition of dry, or seasoned, than wood burners do. Wood that has too much moisture can lead to a frustrating experience.

Reactions: Ashful
Thanks everyone for your feedback... it's much appreciated. Upon further research and talking with our local provider, we have decided to go ahead with the PE Super 27, which will be more than sufficient for our home. If years down the road after we put an addition on, if (and only if) we need additional heat in the addition, we can put something smaller in there. We don't want to wait with putting one in for another year as we live in Northern Ontario and we don't want to go through another winter where power outages are common (and we would really like to help cut our propane costs as much as possible).

Reactions: bcrtops
Congratulations, that is a great stove. Next is getting good firewood. Dry wood will be the key to success.

I installed a Super 27 in 2010 and have been completely satisfied with it in every way. It's a great heater. My house is around 1200 sq/ft and it heats all but the 2 furthest bedrooms very efficiently. It would likely heat the whole space no problem but the house layout is the limiting factor for me.

Congratulations, that is a great stove. Next is getting good firewood. Dry wood will be the key to success.
I'll second both of begreen's remarks. The 27 will be a great stove, but the real key is adequately dry wood. Hopefully, you are reading up on wood here, but if not, please do so, and get a moisture meter (about $20) and shoot for about 20% moisture content within the middle of a fresh split. It really will make all the difference.

I'm glad you went the way you did, I have a Summit that I heat 2800 sq ft with; I think it would have run you out of there!