Pacific Vista C-Series (purchased 2001) not drafting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cgall99

Jan 30, 2023
Northern California
My Pacific Vista C series is suddenly unable to keep a fire going, For a while I couldn't get anything started without leaving the door ajar, then I couldn't keep the fire going without keeping door ajar and now can't keep anything going. Chimney pipe is clean and wood is 3 years seasoned split eucalyptus. A couple years ago I replaced the blanket in the baffle. I have the manual but wow there is SO little info about the parts and actual operation. For instance in troubleshooting for "stove won't burn" is says "check outside air supply for obstruction." How?? Where does air enter the stove?? Are there other places where air could be obstructed? Last time I cleared ash I found this metal piece (pictured) just lying under the ashes in the middle of the stove - where does that go? Is that my problem? I'm a pretty handy women and I really don't want to have to pay someone to look at it. Thanks!!! IMG_7599.jpg IMG_7601.jpg IMG_7603.jpg IMG_7605.jpg

If the chimney cap has a screen, the odds are strong that it is plugged. Bottom-up brushing can miss this. Remove the cap and give the screen a good brushing.

In the last picture, is that the boost air manifold cover? It needs to be put in correctly so that the holes face the fire.

Reactions: Wildflush
if you can see if the company can pdf the manual or if you can download from there sight
I have the manual - I quoted it's poor detail in my original post. It gives very little explanation about the design of the stove or HOW to do anything in terms of maintenance or troubleshooting.

If the chimney cap has a screen, the odds are strong that it is plugged. Bottom-up brushing can miss this. Remove the cap and give the screen a good brushing.

In the last picture, is that the boost air manifold cover? It needs to be put in correctly so that the holes face the fire.
the last photo is what I'm trying to identify. it has no actual holes - only a notch at each end. but I don't see anywhere in the stove where those notches might fit.

There's really not a lot to service and maintain on these stoves. Their KISS design is part of why I like them.

the last photo is what I'm trying to identify. it has no actual holes - only a notch at each end. but I don't see anywhere in the stove where those notches might fit.
That is the boost manifold cover. Item # 10 in the parts diagram. There should be some holes in it. It installs at the bottom front lip of the firebox. With a cold stove, inspect the interior front bottom lip of the firebox. There should be a hole there that admits boost air to the bottom of the fire. The cover is to distribute the boost air and to prevent that supply hole from plugging with ash. If the boost air hole has become plugged with ash, vacuum it out.

This is a common question for PE stoves and I agree that it should be in the manual.