Paint burns off inside and above glas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipper

Jan 12, 2014
Simsbury CT
Using newly installed this year.... 2 months now regency hampton h301 wood insert. Working well, heating 1850sf colonial very well. Live it.

Cosmetic issue as the black paint over the firebox, visible through glass is burning off. I imagine I will be told that I'm letting wood too close to door /glass, but my larger question is.... What do you do to fix? Do I buy paint? It looks awful, but stove works well.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20140112_111027.jpg
    20140112_111027.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 20140112_111039.jpg
    20140112_111039.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 150
  • 20140112_111056.jpg
    20140112_111056.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 147
Welcome to the forum!

Since that's below the rope gasket it's inside the firebox. The temperature there is well above what the paint can handle. Parts of the firebox get hot enough that they can be seen glowing.

Paint inside the firebox is probably put there to keep it from rusting while in storage and transport to the shop you bought it from. When the season ends you can spray the area with black paint to keep it looking nice all summer, but it will most likely burn off again after the first hot fire.

I thought that this could be caused by leaky gasket..excess air intake equaling overheating ? Is gasket stiff near this area?
Am I off track? Re exterior paint burnoff

Good luck - if you find a paint that can hold up to internal stove temps it would likely cost more than the stove per gallon!!!

I'm not sure that's paint. In any case, if it is paint, there's nothing you can do to keep it from burning off. Have you tried just wiping those whitened areas with a damp cloth? Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.