paint question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepinto65

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2008
Webster, MA
What are some of your thoughts on painting cast iron a color. My wife mentioned she had the thought for when we finish our basement to make our Vigilant stand out more than it already will. Im not to sure if I want to do it, but it could look nice so i'm not going to no her to quick. Can anyone post pics if they have had success doing this?

Thanks

Got no pics for you, but I've painted a lot of metal. Painting cast iron's really no different than painting steel. If the existing finish is clean, intact, and tightly adherent, you really wouldn't even have a lot of prep to worry about. For a stove, you can choose any of the heat-resistant paints available. Stove Bright is a pretty commonly available one. Alternatively, you can use something like Krylon or Rustoleum High Heat BBQ paint. Or, for a rainbow of color choices, check out high heat automotive paints. Rick

Mike,

Painting your Vigilant can be done by High Temp stove paint from your local stove dealer, the web, hardware stores or High Temp automotive finishes. There are many photos of VC stoves shown here in the Hearth.com photo section. You will get many ideas of similar style Vermont castings stoves. You may get some smoke as it is fired up to cure after you paint it.

I prefer a basic black stove as on my old Defiant, but my wife wanted the gloss black porcelain enamel on our new Encore. Well, I agreed. Now she asks when am I going to light the stove or questions why it is not going all day long. She smiles when the house is toasty because of it.

Keep warm and enjoy your Vigilant.

I painted my Jotul 606 with Stove Brite and it turned out great! First I sandblasted it then painted it with crappy Lowe's paint, then started over and painted it with Stove Brite. The difference was night and day. But I don't think you can ever match a factory finish.

Attachments

• IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 269
I've painted my Vigilant with the Stove Bright Matte Black and it turned out great, I was just wondering if people have had success with a stove bright color that they could share pictures of.
Webby, stove looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.