Painted stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kendrick Cow

Apr 16, 2020
llahlum56
Hi! First time poster. I have been given an old wood stove that I am hoping to use in my garage. I'm not sure of the brand or type. It's an interesting design. Very low to the ground with two holes (burners?). The top of the stove is less than 24 inches high, width about 16 inches and maybe 36 inches deep. My question is about paint. someone painted it green using regular rustoleum. Do you think it will burn off if I light a fire in it? Or is it trashed for anything other than to look pretty.

If it's not high temp paint it's going to smoke and burn off.

FWIW, wood stoves are not permitted in garages. Check with the local inspecting authority before proceeding.