Painted the stove last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leckbass

Sep 22, 2017
NJ
I went all in and painted the stove last night. 4 hrs of prep...20 min of painting...

I used thermolux 270 black on all of the parts that are visible in the front, and Rustoleum High Heat to some of the parts of the stove in the back and behind the the heat shields.

I'm going to let it cure for a few days or at least until it gets a little cooler.

Should I have one, two, or three small fires with the window open and the fan sucking out.

Reactions: Blazing
Should I have one, two, or three small fires with the window open and the fan sucking out.

You will need 2.8 "small" fires or 2.15 "med-small" fires with the windows open 1.5".

On a more serious note, until the smell is no longer noticeable. ;)

I've had three fires in the new Ashford 30, each one hotter and longer than the previous, and it still stinks!:p

The paint can should tell you of any special heating/curing instructions. Otherwise slower is always better. Preparation of the surface was more important than cure.

Instructions simply say burning with the windows open till the smell is gone... the guy at the store said two or three small fires

Instructions simply say burning with the windows open till the smell is gone... the guy at the store said two or three small fires
Small fires won’t do it, it just prolongs the inevitable blue haze! I like to bring the stove up slow and let it cruise for a while at 2-300. Then let er rip! Run it up to 650 or so on the Stove top. That takes care of most of the smell. Burning in a new stove is much worse than one that’s just repainted. There’s a lot of oil from manufacturing on new stoves.

Reactions: Highbeam
Had the first fire in the stove last night, raining at about 3 to 400 degrees for 3 hours and let it die out. Two fans going in the window, so far so good, no change in the coloration on the stove. I cannot tell any difference between the part of the stove I painted with the thermolux or the part of the stove I painted with the Rustoleum. they both look great so far, going to have a hotter fire tonight.

Rustoleum BBQ paint? Good for 1200 degrees? I just bought a can for my Englander pellet grill that has quickly rusted!

Rustoleum BBQ paint? Good for 1200 degrees? I just bought a can for my Englander pellet grill that has quickly rusted!

It's just called Rustoleum High Heat, I guess you can use it for a barbecue as well. Yes it's for 1200 degrees.

Had the 2nd fire tonight, got the stove up to about 700 degrees, now letting it cool off, still pretty stinky tonight.

Reactions: Highbeam
I used the Rutland stuff last year. I painted in summer and there was no discernable smell when I fired up the stove in the fall. The room did smell for the better part of a week after I painted it, though. The Rutland stuff said the same as your's, burn with the windows open until the smell goes away.

3rd fire done last night, no discernible smell in the house at all, but I did keep the window fan on all night. No difference in appearance between the thermolux or the Rustoleum High Heat. It's going to be warm for the rest of the week but I'll keep you posted for the next fire.