Painting a cast iron pot for steamer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I have a nice 5 qt cast iron pot that I started using for a steamer, however after about 2 days it started to rust and it was gross! Can I spray it with stove paint to keep it from rusting?

the rust and calcium is likely in your water. You could use use distilled water but its cost prohibitive. Better to just scrub it out every once and a while.

You can use hi-temp paint - rated to 1200 degF. BB stores have it for ~$5 in rattle can. Rust will come back in a couple months probably but you can lightly sand or paint again.

i have a small one that i had the same results with , im thinking about media blasting it at the shop and painting with our stove paint , it pretty well matches already but i think our paint would look fine on the inside, though a rust proof coating inside might be a pipe dream with cast and water

Status
Not open for further replies.