painting hearth pad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
Im using a section of hardi board as a hearth pad. Personally i dont care about looks but ash is starting to stain it and look messy. I have some left over paint from the walls and was thinking about painting it so the ash does not stick..

Paint is flamable, even dry it is an accelerant. I would buy or build a hearth pad with tile and you can wipe it down with a damp mop

Reactions: pete7713
I believe hardi board comes in 3x5 ft. If you didn't cut it cover it with some 12"x12" tile and thin set, then grout, you shouldn't have to cut any tile

After doing some reading online and talking to a few local paint stores. As long as it's not a huge direct fire direct on it and using water based paint their will be no issue. Hardi dissipates heat so fast it barley gets warm to the touch. No different then painting brickwork around a fire place. In the summer when I redo the pipe work I'll take the spare pc from the sheet I bought and use the tiles I have sitting here and do up a new one. Just have to find something better than grout for it as the section of laminate flooring has a few dips in it. When I installed it I though it would be more forgiving on keeping the old it lyno under it...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk