Painting stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

usefulidi0t

Feb 18, 2024
Kansas
Is it easier to paint it in sections or paint it while it’s installed? Tips welcome! My mind says sections and install after dry but then I don’t have to deal with wind and debris if I paint installed. What’s worked for you?

-useful

I've been a fan of painting outside if warm enough, installing and then touching up again, with spray paint. Some people like to paint it when pipe is installed and warm. It all works, just be mindful of over sprays, especially up against light colored walls... if its for your own house, then of course its up to you. If you paint inside, ventilate the area, paint fumes are no fun. Remember there is a curing the paint smell too, watch out for smoke detectors going off!

Reactions: usefulidi0t
if you’re painting galvanized piping, wipe it down with vinegar first as it etches and makes the paint adhere properly

Reactions: ABusWrench
if you’re painting galvanized piping, wipe it down with vinegar first as it etches and makes the paint adhere properly
decided not to paint - right now anyways. gonna put it up and see if i can live with it. if im not rolling my eyes every time i see it im probably just gonna send it and call it good. just gonna be one more more thing i would have to maintain during winter cleaning tearing it down to clean every year. i'd rather not. lol - would it look better? sure... would it look hideous if i didn't, doubtful. i've read that elsewhere, but thanks for the tip @Washed-Up regardless.

Reactions: Washed-Up
If the pipe is inside in a finished area- should be painted black. You'll appreciate the look, and you will despise the unpainted pipe...