painting vermont castings intrepid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kosmonauts

Jan 15, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hey!

Finally got my first wood stove! It's a little scuffed up and i would love to re paint or polish it to make it look nice. Stove is in great conddtiion and just needs some cosmetic touches. How would you go about doing this with the "enamel" coating? thought about just using a black heat paint or scraping everything off and then painting or polishing. Don't know if anyone has done this sort of thing...cant wait to get her installed! heres some pics. Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Intrepid 2.jpg
    Intrepid 2.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,410
Well, neither. Your stove is enameled, so paint won't do, wiping it down with a cloth is really your only option.

Reactions: Kosmonauts
Have you inspected the inner workings of the stove? These parts are vulnerable and can be expensive.

Well, neither. Your stove is enameled, so paint won't do, wiping it down with a cloth is really your only option.

You can paint a porcelain surface if you rough it up thoroughly first (abrade every tiny bit of surface area). Aluminum oxide sandpaper will scuff up all ceramic tile and most porcelain tile.

Never tried it on a stove though!

You can paint a porcelain surface if you rough it up thoroughly first (abrade every tiny bit of surface area). Aluminum oxide sandpaper will scuff up all ceramic tile and most porcelain tile.

Never tried it on a stove though!
<>

Good deal, is the cat in good working condition?

Hi-temp black will work just fine, though the surface roughness where enamel is missing may be somewhat apparent.

Hi-temp black will work just fine, though the surface roughness where enamel is missing may be somewhat apparent.
yea i kind of figured so...thats ok though its my first stove and is going down in the basement/studio area. Maybe my next stove will be a new one I just couldn't afford it with the cost of chimney pipe and proper installation.

Just curious if any of the above commenters have actually painted an enamel stove and had success over a long period of time.
From what I've gathered from here and other sources...you paint it every season which sucks but better than it lookin like hell. I could be wrong though would be nice to custom paint a stove

You could chip off all the enamel, but that sounds like a seriously long job to me.

I'd personally sand the rusty parts down to bare metal, paint those bits with stove paint to discourage future rust, and forget about what it looks like- or better yet just leave it alone and see how it burns.

If you are keen to have a stove that looks pretty- people are buying boatloads of new NC30s right now because they're getting them for around $200 after the tax rebate. Relative to the amount of effort you'll spend trying to refinish that VC, $200 may be a bargain. (You also won't discover that the new NC30 needs expensive replacement parts after you hook it up, which is a possibility with the VC.)

If you add up the costs of paint, applicators, possible sandblaster rental/abrasives, sandpaper and scrapers, possible repairs to the inside of the stove, and all your labor hours... It may make sense to put it on craigslist for $50 before you haul it down to the basement.

(Don't let me tell you not to try it though- if you think refinishing a stove sounds like a fun project, I'd like to see how it comes out and how it holds up!)

Last edited:
Just curious if any of the above commenters have actually painted an enamel stove and had success over a long period of time.
I own a black enamel Intrepid with a toasted top.I touched up the missing enamel areas with hi temperature black, and overpainted on to some of the enamel. In 10 years, the overpaint hasnt changed a bit. If you truly clean before painting and arent scouring the painted finish with a scotchbrite pad every year, painted enamel will hold up fine.
For a budget install, a rattle can coating certainly isnt going to make that green alligator look any worse.

I own a black enamel Intrepid with a toasted top.I touched up the missing enamel areas with hi temperature black, and overpainted on to some of the enamel. In 10 years, the overpaint hasnt changed a bit. If you truly clean before painting and arent scouring the painted finish with a scotchbrite pad every year, painted enamel will hold up fine.
For a budget install, a rattle can coating certainly isnt going to make that green alligator look any worse.
Thanks man! How you like your intrepid?

Also did you use spray or brush kind of paint?

Huh, high heat rustoleum's product blurb says, "Rust-Oleum® Specialty High Heat Spray retains color and finish up to 1200º F. Apply to grills, wood-burning stoves, radiators, engines or other metal items. Provides rust protection."

Comes in green too! There's an easy way to touch up the rusty bits, anyway. Brush 'em off, sand 'em down, and 'em down and zap 'em with that stuff.

Huh, high heat rustoleum's product blurb says, "Rust-Oleum® Specialty High Heat Spray retains color and finish up to 1200º F. Apply to grills, wood-burning stoves, radiators, engines or other metal items. Provides rust protection."

Comes in green too! There's an easy way to touch up the rusty bits, anyway. Brush 'em off, sand 'em down, and 'em down and zap 'em with that stuff.
Thanks!!!

Thanks for that great info. I am going to try it to as I chipped my ivory white pellet stove est. 1"X3" long stip.