Painting wood stove and stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Leckbass

Sep 22, 2017
NJ
I run my stove in the living room and have been contemplating painting it to make it look better, especially the single wall pipe. I was planning on buying some brush on stove paint but the local sweep convinced me to buy thermolux spray paint. I'm always skeptical when the front of the product says "it really works." I'm apprehensive about using spray paint in the house. I hit the stove with some steel wool, wipe it down with lacquer thinner, and I think I'm ready to go. What's your opinion about this product? How long should I let the paint cure before I fire it up for the first time?

I run my stove in the living room and have been contemplating painting it to make it look better, especially the single wall pipe. I was planning on buying some brush on stove paint but the local sweep convinced me to buy thermolux spray paint. I'm always skeptical when the front of the product says "it really works." I'm apprehensive about using spray paint in the house. I hit the stove with some steel wool, wipe it down with lacquer thinner, and I think I'm ready to go. What's your opinion about this product? How long should I let the paint cure before I fire it up for the first time?

I just sprayed my stove pipe from the stove to the ceiling (in place) and all went well. The stove was new so obviously didn't require re-paint and even though the stove pipe was new I didn't like the VERY flat look, thus the reason I sprayed it with a satin black finish, plus the fact the stove pipe was telescoping which tends to leave scratches during the install process.
Yes steel wool and lacquer thinner or in my case I used 3M scouring pads and alcohol which is basically the same is an excellent paint prep.
Good masking is important and needs to cover at least 3-4 feet beyond the target (sides, ceiling and floor) it'll take some time but essential when spraying inside the home. I happen to be lucky whereas there was a window within a few feet of the stove so was able to set a 24" box fan on top a card table near the window with the fan turned 180 degrees to draw the overspray out, plus I had a couple of small fans at the other side of the room to create even more directional air flow towards the window. Worked like a charm, hardly no fumes in the house !
Yep 2 hours of masking for just 2 minutes of painting !!! Keep the spray can a good distance away when spraying as to not create any drips/runs.
I waited 48 hours of drying time before I went to the stove curing process with incremental heat cycles again using the same fans as I used when spraying to suck out the fumes with obviously all the masking removed. I used Stove Bright 1A54H222 which is a perfect satin sheen (not too flat and not too shinny).
Good luck, take your time and your stove will look great when done!

Leckbass, IMO using a "brush on" high temp paint ONLY works perfectly on a cast surface which I believe what you have for a stove although not sure about the top plate on that stove; however, you may not be happy using brush on with a steel stove or stove piping whereas the finish may show brush marks which is not the case with cast iron (brush or spray cast surface look great) !

Leckbass, IMO using a "brush on" high temp paint ONLY works perfectly on a cast surface which I believe what you have for a stove although not sure about the top plate on that stove; however, you may not be happy using brush on with a steel stove or stove piping whereas the finish may show brush marks which is not the case with cast iron (brush or spray cast surface look great) !
I was told by Dampney, makers of Thurmalox, to roller brush on the paint instead of brushing it on. Leaves a nice consistent pattern. If needed a light coat of their spray paint on top smooths it right over. Put it on lightly because it'll crack and peel if you put it on too thick initially...

I was told by Dampney, makers of Thurmalox, to roller brush on the paint instead of brushing it on. Leaves a nice consistent pattern. If needed a light coat of their spray paint on top smooths it right over. Put it on lightly because it'll crack and peel if you put it on too thick initially...

I agree, much better than brushing it on, I would use one of those cheap foam 3" mini rollers. Results not as good as spraying but very little masking required and no overspray to deal with.