Pallet Jack fail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
Lowes delivered 3 pallets of pellets on Saturday. Obviously they arrived 90 minutes earlier than when they told me they would, so I wasn't home for the delivery. My dad was home so he took receipt, but the forklift truck they used was too big to maneuver the pallets where I wanted them so they just dropped them off on the asphalt driveway.

Always curious about using a pallet jack, I went to the tool rental place and rented the simple jack they had. After struggling to load it and unload it in the back of my Jeep, I got to try it on the pallets. First problem I had was getting the jack to slide all the way under the pallets - it would only go half way. After much pushing and pulling it finally went all the way in. Second problem was that once the pallet was lifted the wheels sunk into the asphalt and barely moved.

I had to unload 20 bags to get it the thing unstuck and moving in the direction I wanted it to go. And even then, all the pushing and pulling was not worth the effort.

So in the end I only moved one pallet with much effort, and then returned the jack to the tool rental. At least I got to try it.

Lowes delivered 3 pallets of pellets on Saturday. Obviously they arrived 90 minutes earlier than when they told me they would, so I wasn't home for the delivery. My dad was home so he took receipt, but the forklift truck they used was too big to maneuver the pallets where I wanted them so they just dropped them off on the asphalt driveway.

Always curious about using a pallet jack, I went to the tool rental place and rented the simple jack they had. After struggling to load it and unload it in the back of my Jeep, I got to try it on the pallets. First problem I had was getting the jack to slide all the way under the pallets - it would only go half way. After much pushing and pulling it finally went all the way in. Second problem was that once the pallet was lifted the wheels sunk into the asphalt and barely moved.

I had to unload 20 bags to get it the thing unstuck and moving in the direction I wanted it to go. And even then, all the pushing and pulling was not worth the effort.

So in the end I only moved one pallet with much effort, and then returned the jack to the tool rental. At least I got to try it.

Vinny, sorry to hear about your bad experience. I've used a pallet Jack for years to get my pellets into my garage with a few exceptions. First I've always been here to receive the delivery. Second and probably more important, the driver has a motorized forklift capable of setting the pallets on the concrete floor of the garage. Having said that, it's still tough work maneuvering the pallets around. Good luck next year.

Reactions: vinny11950
Same experience here. For years I got pellets from WoodPellets.com.. whoever it was came with one of those thin pallet lifters on the back of the trunk. Well 3 years ago they must have changed the store that delivered pellets. I get a call from the wife that they can't put the pellets where I had them for 10 years. She sends a photo of this monster 10" wide tractor trying to get next to my garage. So they put it where they could. Then over the winter I find 5 to 10 bags have become moisture soaked and the pellets were shot. Some only half gone, some totally shot. So half way through last winter I bought a few bags from a local company. They guarantee all bags, they are local and will put them where I want them. So I gave up with WoodPellets after many years and going with this local company.

If you try those pallet jacks, you better have perfectly smooth surface. Those wheels are very small and tiny bumps and stones will stop them dead.
The new guys stack mine as they can't get the pallet lift all the way to where I want them stacked.

Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950