pallets treated or untreated ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
How do you tell if a pallet has been treated in any way ? I am able to get some to burn but they all look the same to me and was told some may have been sprayed with insecticide, how can you tell I dont want to burn that.

Fresh, clean looking pallets are generally safe.

Fairly obvious things to check for, but worth mentioning are large stains and strong chemical odor, especially when the pallet is cut.

Last year late winter into spring I burned a huge number of pallets just to make it through.

I have a small creosote stain that will NOT come out of the ceramic glass. I extensively searched the post here, brought the glass to the dealer, and tried nearly everything to get rid of it. I suspect that it is from a bad pallet since I cannot find another explanation. I typically clean the glass 1-2 a week as needed.

Now I only take pallets that seem to obviously be new construction AND dry (moisture meter).

Good luck.

One good sign is an "HT" on it somewhere. This stands for "heat treated", which implies that it probably isn't chemically treated as well, as that would be redundant.

My guess is that pallets used for international shipments are more likely to treated with pesticide. Look for evidence as to the origin of the pallets.

Pallets (wooden)for shipping between countries either get heat treated or fumigated (methyl bromide). Methyl bromide evaporates pretty quick, any absorbed and retained into the wood is probably broken down within two months. They used to use it on golf course lawns and for termites and fire ants and farming until it got banned except for specific uses. (like fumigating). supposedly bad for the ozone layer.

I would be concerned with pallets that come from certain places in Asia (won't mention any country names) that don't have (better) controls on pesticide use.

Couldn't say which would be worse, burning the pallets or just handling them, especially lots of them.
As they age they probably are safer to burn. It's not like they are coated with pcb's and chemicals that are horribly inert.

But pallets that have been stored in/near or soaked with oil and/or other chemicals would be good to avoid.

Adios Pantalones said:
As for pressure treated wood- the PT wood that I used recently was also stamped HT or KD (heat treated or kiln dried). I assume it wouldn't be, but there it was.

Good to know. I guess I should be careful how I spell assume...

Vic99 said:

I have a small creosote stain that will NOT come out of the ceramic glass. I extensively searched the post here, brought the glass to the dealer, and tried nearly everything to get rid of it. I suspect that it is from a bad pallet since I cannot find another explanation. I typically clean the glass 1-2 a week as needed.

I wonder if you could turn a propane torch right on the spot and heat it up. The ceramic "glass" should stand the heat no problem, but once you get it red hot, any organic carbon soot would be burned to a white ash which should easily wipe away.

Hey Vic99

<>I have a small creosote stain that will NOT come out of the ceramic glass. I extensively searched the post here, brought the glass to the dealer, and tried nearly everything to get rid of it. <>

Didja try rubbing compound - the type for autobody work? I've had good results on PyroCeram with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.