Papa Bear vs new EPA stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tgumby4

Feb 18, 2017
West Virginia
I've been running Fisher papa bear stoves as a primary heat source for around 20 years in a couple different homes. I currently have a papa bear heating from the basement of by 2200 square foot house in northern West Virginia. I'm looking to upgrade to a new soapstone epa stove but have heard lots of horror stories from the new stoves. My main reasons to switch stoves is to cut down on wood usage and have a view of the fire in my newly finished basement. Have any Fisher owners switched to New epa stoves? The good, bad , and the ugly of new stoves personal stories please.

I've been running Fisher papa bear stoves as a primary heat source for around 20 years in a couple different homes. I currently have a papa bear heating from the basement of by 2200 square foot house in northern West Virginia. I'm looking to upgrade to a new soapstone epa stove but have heard lots of horror stories from the new stoves. My main reasons to switch stoves is to cut down on wood usage and have a view of the fire in my newly finished basement. Have any Fisher owners switched to New epa stoves? The good, bad , and the ugly of new stoves personal stories please.

Yes. I used to build fishers. We were the last in the country. It was hard for me to switch but it is for the good. The main thing is dry seasoned wood. Be cutting now for next year or you won’t be happy. Wood that was cut a month earlier and burn in the fisher won’t produce the heat and clean burn that good season wood will. You will burn less wood and get as much heat. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tgumby4
Most new stoves will out perform your old fisher in just about every way. Peak heat output is all the fishers have the advantage in. What stove are you considering?

Reactions: CamFan
You said your looking at soapstone. One thing with experience with them is they are slow to heat up but once hot they are nice. and if the fire goes out they stay hot for quite a while after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most new stoves will out perform your old fisher in just about every way. Peak heat output is all the fishers have the advantage in. What stove are you considering?
I'm looking at Woodstock progress hybrid and the hearthstone Mansfield. Any experience with either?

You said your looking at soapstone. One thing with experience with them is they are slow to heat up but once hot they are nice. and if the fire goes out they stay hot for quite a while after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
Thats What Actually Has Me Considering A Soapstone Stove. I Usually Run my Woodstove 24/7 When Temps Are Below 40. I Think Soapstone Should Fit The Bill.

Reactions: CamFan
I'm looking at Woodstock progress hybrid and the hearthstone Mansfield. Any experience with either?
The progress is a much better performer. Hearthstones are not bad and they look fantastic but the progress performs much better.

Reactions: tgumby4