Paralysis by analysis - Looking for first stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfmaze

Sep 18, 2014
Eastern PA, USA
Hey guys! Just spent a few hours reading through posts. good group of advice givers here so I joined up.

I am living in a two story turn of the 20th century house. Not necessarily drafty. But lacking insulation and attic has holes big enough to fly a paper airplane right thru one side to the next. I am renting the house, So capitol investments are not in my best interest.

The house has no fireplace but has a oil furnace in the basement with hot water radiators around the house for heat. I keep it at 60* and I have been paying 1.5-3K a year for heat. So we would like to add a supplemental stove so we can at least have a section of the house warm and cozy, if not take some strain off the oil bill.

My girl wants a fire to watch, she was a fan of the gas Propane stoves with the embers, But the BTU cost shut that idea down quick and I started looking at the pellet stoves in the store. She still likes the cast iron models but understands they are heavy as sin and may be harder for me to work on.

We went to three different local stores and got ideas for different stoves. I figured I'd bounce some models off you guys and see if anything stands out.

Store One:
Guy had St. Croix stoves. He was pushing the Prescott model for 3100. But it seemed high compared to the lower end models we had been looking at and i didn't think it had an auto ignition( i think i was wrong) but still in the high end of the range and didn't really jump at me. The Hastings was nice, but lifting the cast iron sides off to maintain it seemes daunting. And some stove access pannels were in the back, not moving a 500lb stove to get to them. Interesting auto shaker that agitates the burning fuel. and stoves claim to be able to burn almost anything.

Store Two:
Lady here was pushing us toward the CAB-50. Really like the HUGE hopper and it seems really easy to maintain. nice big access doors on the sides. styling is what it is, But i'm more concerned about heat output and efficiency(but remember my girl wants the pretty fire and cast box, she refers to the CAB 50 as the Auschwitz oven, sry if anyone gets offended). Seems like it might be a bit high priced at $1850 compared to tractor supply and Big box offerings. is it worth the extra 600 dollars? They also carried the Enviro stoves but i haven't looked into them too much yet.

Store three:
Quardifire and Harman offerings. They did have the Cab-50 here as well and I told him that was what we were looking at currently but wanted to see what higher end options get us. the P68 would certainly get the job done but i wasn't sure I could come up with the $4200 + $500 for the vent for something like that. I did see that Quadrafire had a CB1200 sitting there that I really liked, It not too much more than the CAB50 and it has a much bigger window to see the fire through and has a real heat exchange. still fairly easy maintenance access. It not a cast iron piece of artwork, But I think it doesn' t look to bad. Only problem I have heard is the efficiency is not really good on them so they cost more to run?

I was also supprised to hear that two of the three stores did not recommend outside air supply. I have always thought they were the golden rule when It came to high efficiency?

My house is about 2000 sq feet with four main rooms on the lower floor separated by open doorways upstairs is bedrooms... we want to place heater in the downstairs living room.

Sorry for the long post, like I said. I'v thought my self into a corner!

Dan

Last edited:
Dan,check out the Englander Stove Page . you might like their pellet stoves. They are not top of the heap ,but they are not the bottom either. I have two of their pellet stoves in my home since 2008 . No one is a SUMMERHEAT 55-SHP22. No. two is a SUMMERHEAT 55-SHP25EPI. Still running great. Both on stats, and run 24 seven OCTOBER TO MAY. I think these might fit your needs. The first one is my work horse, the second one has a full glass door, makes the boss happy. They are both rated about the same as far as heat output. The best service and parts response I have seen. Great company to do business with . But I have to say ,these are DIY stoves, BUT VERY EASY TO MAINTAIN.

Do not have experience with the stoves that you are looking at but only advice I can give in your situation is get the highest btu stove for the money provided your insulation and heat loss issues will overwork a smaller stove

I also have an Englander and am very green to pellet stoves, however I am able to do all my annual maintenance with ease.

Like someone said above... It's not a Harman. It's also a fraction of the price.

I'm really not liking the "dealer" involvement with alot of this. Esp if I move and take my stove with me or my local dealer closes. I don't like that the company will not send me a new motor if mine is broken. Quadrafire and Harmon both fall into that catagory. But i'm sure that is industry standard. and I do understand that most end users are ignorant and do not learn the model before calling so I do kind of see there point.

I'm leaning toward the Quadrafire classic Bay 1200 right now. But i'm easily swayed still. I have heard that it doesn't put off the much heat and burns a lot of fuel. Not sure how to debunk that.

I'm really not liking the "dealer" involvement with alot of this. Esp if I move and take my stove with me or my local dealer closes. I don't like that the company will not send me a new motor if mine is broken. Quadrafire and Harmon both fall into that catagory. But i'm sure that is industry standard. and I do understand that most end users are ignorant and do not learn the model before calling so I do kind of see there point.

I'm leaning toward the Quadrafire classic Bay 1200 right now. But i'm easily swayed still. I have heard that it doesn't put off the much heat and burns a lot of fuel. Not sure how to debunk that.

I don't know where you heard a CB1200 doesn't put out the heat. Could you share that with us?

Check out cleaning videos for the stoves on your list as well. The differences may be surprising.

Check out cleaning videos for the stoves on your list as well. The differences may be surprising.

the videos online are awesome! i love that the companies put them out as there doesn't seem to be much online chatter about them. I am liking how the CB1200 opens up via magnetic doors on both sides to clean and maintain.

Reactions: Mr. Spock
Have you considered a coal stoker? you may have great access to coal there in PA and I understand the heat from them is sweet!!

Reactions: tjnamtiw
I have, And it should be a prominent fuel around here, there just don't seem to be as many stoves around(only seen one in the stores I've been going to) . I know the coal should be dirt cheap. I remember the amish having trouble last year because the "rice coal" stoakers use was all being shipped out of state(or country) and there was a shortage here. Pellets are everywhere now. I only know one place to buy coal...

Have you considered a coal stoker? you may have great access to coal there in PA and I understand the heat from them is sweet!!
You have peaked my interest into coal again. Cant argue with the cost and heat. But do all coal stoker stoves need a full chimney? can some vent pellet stove like? It is a rental house so i really dont want to run a $4K chimney.

You have peaked my interest into coal again. Cant argue with the cost and heat. But do all coal stoker stoves need a full chimney? can some vent pellet stove like? It is a rental house so i really dont want to run a $4K chimney.
I don't know where you looked but coal stove stores are all around the Reading/Lancaster area all the way to Phoenixville. No shortage of rice coal for my brother in law in Reading. He picked his up in Tamaqua for 175 a ton at the breaker. That's cheaper than you can pick up pellets. Twice the heat per ton of coal. Stoves put out 2 to 3 times the btu's of pellet stoves if you need it. They can be fitted with a direct vent system to eliminate the chimney. There are two types > one blows the exhaust out and the other sucks it out. The sucking variety eliminates the possibility of CO if you don't do a decent job of sealing the piping but that goes for any installation.
Also, stokers can run on a thermostat and are extremely easy to operate. Ashes are no problem when you learn how and WHEN to handle them. They can go out with the trash too. Don't believe all the BS you will hear about anthracite coal. Don't base anything on the old memories of the monsters in the basement from days gone by. When you visit those sites, you'll see how modern the new ones are.
www.leisurelinestoves.com
www.readingstove.com
www.keystoker.com
www.nepacrossroads.com

One question no matter what you decide to do. Will the landlord let you punch holes through the wall of his house?????

Last edited:
Reactions: Mt Bob
To continue further from the last post.. Not only does the homeowner know and ok with the hole in the wall/ ceiling is his insurance ok with it? You should also have renters insurance and mention it to your agent and last but not least... please do not even consider venting anything through a window in any way shape or form.

Not sure how far out they do installs (or if you are planning on installing yourself), but http://www.kegerreisstoves.com/ isn't terribly far from you. If you buy a stove from them, they also give you $10/ton off their summer pre-buy prices. And can store them for you all season for I think it was $14/ton this year (good way to make sure you'll have some later in the season if it gets tough to find them again).

I swung by lowes today and they have the Englander models there $1599 less 10% off plus 6 month no financing. the Englander models seem to be nice heavy steel and the OAK feeds are way better that the Classic Bay 1200. Is the classic bay really worth over a thousand dollars more....?

. please do not even consider venting anything through a window in any way shape or form.

I was not originally planning to, but apparently it is well within the code to vent through a "permanently" closed window... top pane will be removed and a framed insert with thimble will be used. I don't see a reason not to do it this way.

I know two people that vent through windows with no issues

Lowes got me thinking and i'm sitting here wondering if the Classic bay 1200 is worth a grand more than the Summers heat bay window version. Biggest thing i can say is i love the access pannels on the CB1200. But that might not be something to base the decision on.... 1450 for summers heat, 2600 for CB1200...4k for harmon advanced. decisions decisions.

Harman is the best you get what ya pay for sorry for spitting out my opinion

Reactions: Ctcarl
Harman is the best you get what ya pay for sorry for spitting out my opinion

I have found many times that to be the case "get what you pay for" But could you expand on what it does better? less breakdowns, cheaper repairs, better heat control, safety? If I can justify the extra cost i'm there... But usually when buying things I look at the steel and they are all made of decent materials. the quad cb1200 has a bit more refinement to the Summers heat. But I can't really see much operational difference between the advance and the CB1200. Granted i've never seen them run side by side.

Harman p61 going for $3699 61,000 btu for a thousand more wont have to worryabout btu any more compared to the the classic bay also has side panels for access. If you go look at the p61 compared to the quad you'll see the difference

P61 has 72lb hopper will keep your desired room temp within 1 degree ,easy to clean, 61,000btu,and it's as reliable as they come.check one out let me know what ya find.inthink you will b impressed

Well I wiil be the stick in the mud(except for maybe tj) big old house,not sealed well,pellet stove is poor choice.Lump coal stove(for cheap).Eastern PA-natural gas?got about a good 7 cheap years left.2000 sq ft not that big,but you did not provide enough info,so if you go pellet go big.Something I have(and still) use on people out here is-go and buy 4 milkhouse electric heaters(40.000 watts is very close to 40,000 btu's),put all them in the same room,next to one another,live through a winter and see if you will be happy with this.most pellet stoves are a space heater/only

Status
Not open for further replies.