Park Model Trailer Mildew/Mold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hey, All,
Wife and I are looking at a park model trailer and wondering about mildew/mold. The trailer has a mildewy smell and we noticed a little fuzz (mold) on one side of a wooden stand but no other signs. There is a section of carpet that has water damage- the problem was fixed. Trailer has been closed up for most of the summer and is in a well-shaded area.

Thoughts? Assuming there is no longer a leak, what would be the course of action?

Thanks!

Once you open her up she'll air out. Bleach water or lysol will kill any mold. If the leak is fixed, no worries.

Water damage is what ruins RV type trailers. The structure fails, rots, and is too expensive to fix. The good news is that park models are often built more like houses and repair can be easier. So is this just a big RV with a rubber roof or is it a little house on a trailer?

This is a 38' park model with a peaked asphalt shingle roof and, as best I can tell, wood framing. The owner said there was a leak in one section, so he had it fixed and removed part of a wall to get in and replace any water damaged sections. The mold (nothing else is fuzzy, right?) was on the sides of a cabinet--we looked everywhere else we could see and didn't find any more. The air, carpet, and couches smell mildewy, but I know it hasn't been used in a while.

What I'm trying to decide is how likely I'll be able to fix the issue. I'm thinking if I went in and cleaned every surface I have access to with whatever is recommended (bleach water/vinegar water?), pull and replace the rug with wood, pull the couches and mattresses outside and steam clean, throw some charcoal/water absorber or a dehumidifier in there, and keep the windows wide open I should be good?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.