Pass through wall plates?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crausch

Aug 26, 2008
Littlestown, PA
Does anybody know where I could find a fancy wall plate for where my vent pipe passes through the wall. Currently I have a duravent wall thimble that has a about a 9" plain black square cover. I have this going through a stone wall and the more I look at it, the more I feel I want something a little better looking. Maybe I am too picky. But I have this nice looking stove set against a nice looking stone wall and I just want something that fits in better.

I have not seen anyone selling something like this, so I was thinking of improvising and looking for maybe a fancy ceiling fan mounting plate. I think I can find one of those in tin or a non-combustionable. Anybody know where to get a nice looking plate or any other items that would work in its place (like the cieling fan mounting plates)?

Perhaps you could get a nice fancy ceramic tile bore a hole through for the pipe to pass through and wala ! custom plate. You could also hand hammer a sheet of copper and make a plate to cover it as well. Use your imagination and save some money and have some fun with it. You can always undo it if you don't like the look.

Hmmm...the copper thing sounds interesting. If only I had more talent :)

Your idea with the tile gives me a thought. Maybe I can use the idea of drilling through a piece of tile, then place that in some sort of plaque or base, then add some other tiles pieces to come up with a pattern or mosiac.

You really have me thing now. Maybe even create something in stained glass.

You can handle the copper no problem. You can't really go wrong. Get a ball pien hammer, use the ball side and hammer away. Use a soft pine wood backer to hammer on. the more you hammer the better. Then just flatten it out and your done. little talent and a hammer. Plus it feels good beating that copper. Use the same power with each hammer blow. Hit hard enought to get the effect you want Try it you'll like it. :lol:

Sounds like fun!

I be sure to post a picture once I have something in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.