Passing a class A chimney through roof eave

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob_Red

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2021
Southern New England
How is this done while maintaining 2 inch clearance to combustibles when going through the soffit? Most of the pictures I see look like the example below where the soffit comes right to the pipe. Should their be a metal trim ring? By the way this is not my house but I have a similar setup going in.

E46B8F1A-7AD7-48A2-B9FF-91D316F75BAD.jpeg

Maybe those soffit vents are metal? If they are wood or plastic then that picture is not to code.

Reactions: Rob_Red
I already have this notch from the old chimney and am thinking about going this rout. Are there any cons to this?

Attachments

• FB088107-B64F-4F1E-AFEA-00A0FD1F496C.jpeg
    FB088107-B64F-4F1E-AFEA-00A0FD1F496C.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 530
How is this done while maintaining 2 inch clearance to combustibles when going through the soffit? Most of the pictures I see look like the example below where the soffit comes right to the pipe. Should their be a metal trim ring? By the way this is not my house but I have a similar setup going in.

View attachment 278531
Either extended offset brackets to go past the soffit or through maintaining clearances. Like gthomas said above that soffit may be aluminum if so it's fine if not it needs cut back and trim installed.

I already have this notch from the old chimney and am thinking about going this rout. Are there any cons to this?
Just that it looks kind of crappy. Otherwise no problems if done properly