Pb 105 furnace coming on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chris04626

Minister of Fire
Have my thermostat set at 68. Have been running my boiler the last couple weeks. I just noticed the furnace also came on while the pellet boiler was running. Checked the temp gauge on oil boiler and it was up at 170 when it was running

Why would the oil boiler be firing up? Should I just turn it off while I'm using pellet boiler?

If your pellet stove furnace heats water for your sinks and bathtubs, then no, you probably don't need the oil furnace to be doing the same thing, unless the pellet furnace fails to get the water hot enough or doesn't have enough storage capacity to meet demand. If we are talking about heating the house only, then you might want the oil furnace thermostat set to a reasonable backup level, so it only runs if something goes wrong with the pellet furnace. For instance you could heat the house to 72° (22°) with the pellet furnace, and have the oil furnace come on if the temperature drops to 65 (18), or some such arrangement.