PDV20 Vermont casting thermocouple replacement.....how?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PaulRV6

Jan 17, 2022
NY
What is the procedure for replacing the thermocouple on this fireplace? By the looks of it I have to take apart 75% of the fire to get at it. It is only an inch of the mantle floor and comes out straight to the back and the gas line is right in the way. There is no way to get a wrench on the nut or even to put a new one in. I thought these were supposed to be easy to replace. It almost looks like like I have to completely remove the fireplace to slide it back from the vent and tip it up towards the front to unscrew it. If anyone has done this before on this particular model, please let me know. Thanks

You have to go at it from the INSIDE of the firebox.
Remove the glass, then take a picture of the log placement.
Remove all the logs. Set them aside in a safe place. They're fragile.
In the right rear corner, according to the manual
(https://www.manualslib.com/products/Vermont-Castings-Pdv20-3920-2123042.html)
is the pilot assembly. You should be able to remove the fasteners
holding the bottom plate of the pilot assy. to the floor. Probably
1/4" hex heads. Carefully lift the assembly up from the floor, paying
attention to the pilot tube. It's also fragile. See if
you can get a wrench on the t-couple retainer nut. If you can,
disconnect it there & at the gas valve. Feed it thru the bottom &
remove it. Reverse the steps to install the new one.
Message me if you have a problem...
1644117414795.png

Bob, btw the attachment infected my computer with spyware. Do not open any attachments.
My fireplace has the assembly front left corner and I have to get to the TC at the gas valve from the back.

Yes I have the manual. It is a Pinnacle PDV20 from early 2001. Its not a Stardance. Thanks

Yes I have the manual. It is a Pinnacle PDV20 from early 2001. Its not a Stardance. Thanks
Paul were you ever able to resolve this? I'm experiencing the same issue right now - had to deconstruct the majority of the fireplace and still can't access the nut since it's in such an inconvenient spot. Reached out to a local company to get a quote but I'd prefer to fix it myself if it's something that you've figured out how to do.

Thanks Bob! The first picture here is shot from the back of the stove - where the wire goes in is about 6" in from the left and 4" in from the front, blocked by the metal gas pipe. In the second picture, it is behind the wire/knob bundle in the front plate. I was able to get the thermocouple released from the plate, but just have no good way to access the other side of the line.

And cleaning underneath is on my to do list before I get everything put back together.
IMG_2957.JPG
IMG_2951.JPG