PE firebrick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wacky1

Hearth Supporter
Oct 9, 2009
Ripley WV
OK, so we have had this insert 2months now I did the small fire break in, let it cool and gradually increased fires, did a good cleaning after all that to check for any abnormalities. None. The installer told me to do small fires to draw the moisture out of the bricks so they won't break. So that is what I did. And now the temps around here this weekend are near 70, so I clean the insert out and ???###@@@!!! The very 1st brick on the left side nearest the door is cracked in 2 about middle ways up!! Now, I need to know if I should worry about this and buy a set from somewhere just in case this happens again, or wait till spring and see if any other do the same thing. Or not even worry because it is a clean break and is in the front of the insert and is staying together right now. Wonder how this could have happened? I load mostly n/s, and if anything, I would have thought the ones in the back and on the floor would have broke being that they are the ones receiving the most abuse. I have posted here before stating that my bricks seem pinkish around the edges and still do especially the broken one. Wonder if the bricks were not made or cured properly. Anybody know if there are bricks out there that are nearly indestructable? And where could I purchase these to replace, other than the dealer?? Thanks to all in advance!!

Wacky1 said:
OK, so we have had this insert 2months now I did the small fire break in, let it cool and gradually increased fires, did a good cleaning after all that to check for any abnormalities. None. The installer told me to do small fires to draw the moisture out of the bricks so they won't break. So that is what I did. And now the temps around here this weekend are near 70, so I clean the insert out and ???###@@@!!! The very 1st brick on the left side nearest the door is cracked in 2 about middle ways up!! Now, I need to know if I should worry about this and buy a set from somewhere just in case this happens again, or wait till spring and see if any other do the same thing. Or not even worry because it is a clean break and is in the front of the insert and is staying together right now. Wonder how this could have happened? I load mostly n/s, and if anything, I would have thought the ones in the back and on the floor would have broke being that they are the ones receiving the most abuse. I have posted here before stating that my bricks seem pinkish around the edges and still do especially the broken one. Wonder if the bricks were not made or cured properly. Anybody know if there are bricks out there that are nearly indestructable? And where could I purchase these to replace, other than the dealer?? Thanks to all in advance!!

Hmm, never had a problem with the bricks in my Summit.
Matter of fact, just flipped em over after 3 burn seasons, and good as new.
If it was me, I would pull one off the bottom put it where the cracked side brick is, then put the cracked one on the bottom in the place you took the other one from. Done deal.
Once the ash settles in between the bricks, you'll never know it is there.

I was thinking just that, ash will kind of act like a "sealer" if you will. Going down to do it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.