PE Pacific Insert...Boost Manifold ? Naaah, Pilot Error :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Grrrr..which way does it go, with the holes pointing towards the door glass, or into the stove? Manual was no help at all.

I took it apart to clean out the ash underneath, and since then there is little air control (or atleast it seems to me this is the problem). I'm also wondering if I didn't clean out the supply completely to allow "flow".

Dirty glass, no increase or decrease in flow when I adjust the front control.

Right now it's aimed "up", not "in".

Stoves been cooling since this AM so I can deal with it when I get home.

**ETA** I had great burn & "flow" before I cleaned it :smirk:

From the manual it looks like they are on the front aimed in. Makes sense since they feed the base of the fire.

holes point towards the back of the stove. right now it sounds like you have them blocked.

(PE note: a good design would only let it go in one way)

BeGreen said:
(PE note: a good design would only let it go in one way)

The M1 rifle was designed where there was no possible way for a GI to put the bolt in backwards. There used to be one on display at Ft. Leavenworth with the bolt in backwards. Put in that way by a GI.

Back in business. Thank you both :)

Explains why I had smoke backing into the house whenever I opened the door last night >:-(

Great, my insert on display at the Stove Hall Of Shame :-S

:lol:

Could this have clogged my cap? Or caused a build up in the chimney? Me thinks so.

Draft now sucks *not*.

I'm shutting it down and calling "The Sweep.".

My first "sweep" .

I managed to get that chimney chock full of stage 1, by inserting the baffle wrong.

:blank:

Plugged my cap, too.

:shut:

Learned a few things, shared some knowledge, and atleast I know I have someone to call if I need them.

Coulda been alot worse, I figure :roll:

How the hell did you install the manifold wrong? Are you talking the boost manifold, or secondary manifold?

The boost. It "goes both ways" :smirk:

I realized when I went to put it back in, that I hadn't paid attention when I took it out.

Alot of mental distractions, lately. I won't forget this one, that's for sure.

Nice ta see ya, Hogz ! Why did it have to be my thread ??? :lol:

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

I realized when I went to put it back in, that I hadn't paid attention when I took it out.

It appears you need it ;)

Strange, the Summit boost manifold only fits one way. It is notched on each side at the front corner posts inside.
How long did you have it backwards? Seems strange that would solely cause a clogged stack. Did the insert have a serious draft problem prior to the correct installation of the manifold?

Hogwildz said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

It appears you need it ;)

Strange, the Summit boost manifold only fits one way. It is notched on each side at the front corner posts inside.
How long did you have it backwards? Seems strange that would solely cause a clogged stack. Did the insert have a serious draft problem prior to the correct installation of the manifold?

LMAO !!! Well, then, it's a wunnerful thing !!

The Pacific boost will fit either way over the air flow, no notcheroos. And I have no doubt that it was working it's way there before I pulled this one off.

Sweep told me to get a moisture meter. I'm on it.

I thought I was doing well. I had a decent draft before, I thought. But it's running now, and I hear the differance in the draft up the chimney, and see the way the wood is burning (2 YO oak), and what a differance. I'm figuring my "playing" with it during the warmer weather had alot to do with it.

*dons anti wet noodle suit* ;-P

I'm around, concentrating on Summit posts, the occasional roofing questions, and other interesting questions that don't receive much input.
Seems you learned something from your lil snafu, so learning is always a good thing. The beauty is, it was a fairly inexpensive learning lesson, that will likely never need to be learned again.
Wet wood, especially the wet wood folks think is dry, can cause a fairly fast build up. I am starting into a pile of "not quite ready wood". Dry it out in the house, usually about 4 days worth, and mix it in with dry stuff and hotter load temps. One must do with what one has at the time.
Have a nice, toasty weekend.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.