PE Spectrum Air Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2008
Northern Indiana
So I read a post about how my PE Spectrum's air control has a linkage which adjusts primary and secondary air input at the same time. My question is --- does the control close/open both at the same time or does it open one while closing the other? EX: when the primary is wide open the secondary is shut down. I tried to look for myself with a flashlight but I can't see/feel anything when the secondary opening is.

Nobody knows this one, and PE ain't telling. The linkage rod disappears through a hole in the rectangular secondary air tube way in the back of the stove, where whatever happens does so unobserved.

It could be a gimballed, spherical vortex valve with various size airflow passages in a non-geometric pattern that deliver precisely measured amounts of secondary air throughout every conceivable draft control position. Adjusted for firebox temperature. And chimney updraft.

It could be a rim-actuated daisy wheel, with airflow openings that enlarge until the draft lever is at, say, 5/8 open, then grow gradually smaller as the lever is pushed toward the full open position.

Most likely, it is a flat plate that slides back and forth to cover and uncover a hole.

:lol: I don't know who's the worst influence here, AP or Rick. But one of these days someone is actually going to try adjusting the spherical vortex valve and may end up disturbing the matrix!

Well, I'm asking cause I'm trying to decide if I should modify my Spectrum like the pics I see in the Florida Bungalow Syn article. I feel like that artice was written for me. I have 7' double wall stove pipe going into 22' HT103 chimney straight up. I'm in northern Indiana. I can easily get 600-700F flue gas temps on a probe thermo 18" above the stove even after I choke down to only secondary air. My stovetop and flue gas temp are almost always equal once I'm in secondary mode. Seems to me I'm losing a lot of heat up that stack. I was just going to do a flue damper but lowering the air intake makes so much more sense to me. I just wonder if closing the primary more on that Spectrum makes the secondary open up even more. When that thing gets ripping, I swear flames are getting sucked over the baffle and into the stovepipe.

In that case, wouldn't a damper on the OAK intake reduce or cut-off all intake air supply?

BeGreen said:
In that case, wouldn't a damper on the OAK intake reduce or cut-off all intake air supply?

When I installed the stove, there was no OAK. I have the pedestal version. The manual said to keep the 4" knockout on the back of the pedestal in place and cut a 4" hole in the hearth which is routed to outside air. That is the config I have. Your idea is good and I read that reccomendation before except there are a ton of little air leaks between the stove and the pedestal that would still draw room air even if the 4" is completely plugged. That is unless I'm understanding something wrong.

I wouldn't worry too much about them if the intent is just to slow down the burn and not to snuff it out. Choking the OAK should have a dramatic affect on the fire.

thechimneysweep said:
Nobody knows this one, and PE ain't telling. The linkage rod disappears through a hole in the rectangular secondary air tube way in the back of the stove, where whatever happens does so unobserved.

It could be a gimballed, spherical vortex valve with various size airflow passages in a non-geometric pattern that deliver precisely measured amounts of secondary air throughout every conceivable draft control position. Adjusted for firebox temperature. And chimney updraft.

It could be a rim-actuated daisy wheel, with airflow openings that enlarge until the draft lever is at, say, 5/8 open, then grow gradually smaller as the lever is pushed toward the full open position.

Most likely, it is a flat plate that slides back and forth to cover and uncover a hole.

Ha! That must have taken awhile to come up with . Is it really not accessible? A stove shop can't access moving parts? But then the information would be on a need to know basis....

Maybe I'm missing something in that diagram but I still can't tell if the secondary is opening with the primary or opposite the primary. I see item 30 and can tell that it is some sort of sliding cover for the secondary but it doesn't show the hole it's supposed to be controlling. Depending on where that hole is the secondary could be acting 2 different ways.

If memory serves me correct, when helping my buddy assemble his super 27, I noticed the secondary air intake worked WITH the primary intake. When one opened, the other one opened. I can't remember if the secondary plate closed completely or not.

Jimbob said:
If memory serves me correct, when helping my buddy assemble his super 27, I noticed the secondary air intake worked WITH the primary intake. When one opened, the other one opened. I can't remember if the secondary plate closed completely or not.

That's exactly what I need to know... I tried to see how mine worked but it's practically impossible so I thought someone on here would know. Who knew it was such a mystery???

Status
Not open for further replies.