PE SUMMIT Acting Odd

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Split your wood and measure the moisture and species on all pieces before they are put in. Record the data such as burn time, temperature to PE. You should receive an answer by April asking for further details. PE is not known for customer service.

Ah, that more detailed explanation explains it. From the sounds of things with a partial load the wood is not burning all the way with 80-90% air. I suspect this will not happen with a fully loaded stove, at least that is the hypothesis.

How are you loading, N/S or E/W? At the end of the burn cycle is the wood burning down completely to ash?

Can you try loading the 5-6 splits, N/S, before lighting? Load it with three, 4-5" splits on the bottom, then 2 more on them. Like a truncated pyramid. Then make some newspaper knots and put them on top of the wood and add kindling on top. This is also known as a top down start. See if that improves the smoke issue.
Top-down lighting -

Thanks begreen. I have not yet fully stuffed the stove and rarely reloaded on a decent bed of coals. Its all pretty much start after work, fill half a box and let die out. I'm probably 1-2 weeks away from 24/7 burning and I'm just trying to get everything ironed out. I get up at 3:15 and try to be out the door by 4:00. I try to make the most efficient morning routine with the stove and leave the house confident that 3.0 CF of wood is going to burn exactly how I expect.

It sounds like you may be spot on about the partial load. That is another difference between this years burns compared to last. I'll try a 24/2 cycle with full firebox and hot coal reloads this weekend to see.

I Have tried the top down start a few times and never really had much luck, but I had never watched a video, I just did what I "thought" was the right way to do it. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

And yes, the wood burns out completely to ash. Also I load N/S 100% of the time.

Again, Thanks for your help and time begreen. Much appreciated. I'll post back after I can get some continuous burning.

Sounds like it's flaming out and smoldering. Not enough air, hot enough fire box, enough draft. It's early burn season, so draft is down a bit. When I get a fire to die, it's always before a few reloads and a a bed of coals. And wet wood that won't stay burning.

I'm beginning to believe this is the exact reason, as you and begreen have said. I have not really reloaded on a decent bed of coals yet and I have not really filled the firebox yet. Wood is ok.
Damp or wet wood will suck all the fun out of burning with an EPA Stove.

Wood shouldn't be the issue. Mostly 20% maples, red and sugar.

Just to close this out.... After burning more regularly and temps dropping, the stove is acting normal. I believe it was from "Conventional" bottom up starting, only short evening fires and warm outside temps (weaker draft). After burning all weekend and reloading on hot coals, all is normal. Also, temps dipped into the 30s, so draft is also better. Thanks all!

Reactions: begreen
Good to know. Let the cruising begin.

Reactions: swestall and Mike.O
Other's may have differing opinions, and it may vary by what type of wood you're burning, but my Summit burns its best when it's stuffed full. A buddy of mine has a different stove, i don't recall the brand, but he can throw a log or two on a coal bed, and it will heat just fine. Their house is much smaller however.

Yes, there are lots of variables. It can vary with the wood, draft, stove location, as well as the house size, insulation, etc.. Our stove does fine on a half-load of wood. It gets up to secondary temp quickly, just not as hot on the stovetop and with a shorter burn.

Other's may have differing opinions, and it may vary by what type of wood you're burning, but my Summit burns its best when it's stuffed full. A buddy of mine has a different stove, i don't recall the brand, but he can throw a log or two on a coal bed, and it will heat just fine. Their house is much smaller however.
I 100% agree. And I’ve found, my setup isn’t really conducive to cold starts in marginal outside temps. On a coal bed, I can get by on half a load, but it really loves a full load.