PE Summit insert burn time definition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prockncj

Jan 24, 2012
Livonia MIchigan USA
Hello ,

I have been burning my PE summit since Xmas. It been very good at getting my basement 80F with no problem. I was wondering what other users of the same insert get as far as burn time or when it's time to reload.
I have heard of 10hr burn times.

Question:
What is the definition of " burn time"

does that mean flames go for x amount of time.

does that mean flames to coal in x amout of time ?

does that mean flames, coal, then ash in x amout of time.

Best I can do with a good set of flames is 2 hours plus.

Then a set of coals will hang on. For another 2hr @500f or below.

Not getting very long "Flame" time it does stay hot though. But no where near 10 hours. If I stuff a full load After 10 hours I still have coals enough to start a fire but the stove will be 200f or less.

Thanks for your time.

Burn time is different from person to person. Generally it's the time stove produces significant amount of heat on a load of wood. You will get 2-3 or so hours of flame plus 5 or more hours of coals. In cold weather you burn times will be shorter because you need more heat. Your burn time starts when you load your stove and ends when you reload.

Burn time is a marketing term. It's totally relative to outside temps, the wood, the house and the operator. A more meaningful measurement is the period of meaningful heat (PMH). What is meaningful is going to depend on outside temps and how well the house holds heat. For example the PMH for milder weather might be from a 250 to 250f stove top. In cold weather this might be from 350 to 350F. Coals produce very good heat too. There are always coals left with our stove (same firebox) after 10 hrs. And there are a lot more coals if doing this from 350 to 350F. So burn times will be long in mild weather. 10-12 hrs are quite possible. And they're shorter in cold weather, more like 8 hrs or even 6 hrs if the house is losing heat rapidly.

Begreen ,

Thanks

Yes so then I do like 350 to 350 and yes I have a ton of coals. And the stove stays nice and hot to relight easy.

Sometime I think I have to many coals and remove one scoop.

I keep thinking the efiffency will be less due to air flow not being good enough to burn the wood cause thee are to many coals.

I this the right thing to do ?
How many coals should be in the fire box
With a reload ?

The coals need to be burned down a little more. Instead of removing coals, move them to the front of the firebox. Then put a couple small 2" thick pieces of dry wood on the fire and open the air up, all the way open. Pine works great for this. Let the coals burn down for about 20-30 minutes. Then reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.