pe summit insert owners please post here (couple of questions for ya)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
1) where do you put your thermometers? (sp)
2) how exactly do you run yours what temp do you throttle down?
3) whats your longest burn.. and what do you typically get for burns?
4) how long does it take to get your house warm ..please list sq ft
5) have you ever had to run it hard
6) tell me your likes and dislikes

i will be getting installed sat so i would like to know from you seasoned summit runners the little ins and out

1) I haven't bought a thermometer yet.
2) I get a good fire going and I close the draft down almost all the way. I leave it open about an inch or so.
3) Longest burn with big rounds and the draft closed all the way, 10 hours. It's pretty cold by then but the blower is still running and they're are coals to relight the fire.
4) I can get a couple of degrees an hour increase in temperature when its in the 20's outside. My house is 2600 square feet.
5) I have never run it hard, other than on start up
6) I like that is burns a long time and puts out massive amounts of heat. I do wish they would have put some sort of a 90 degree angle lip on the bottom of the door opening. The one that's there is at a 45 or so, and when I'm raking coals to the front of the stove I have to be very careful not to rake them right out of the stove.

I'm not a seasoned Summit owner. I have only been burning mine about a month. Make sure they put a block off plate where the damper used to be.

Oh and Corrie, if you want to make a great suggestion to your boss. Suggest designing a stove with a built in humidifer. I bet everybody in here would wish they had it.

iceman said:
1) where do you put your thermometers? (sp)

i will be getting installed sat so i would like to know from you seasoned summit runners the little ins and out

1. Top corner just above and kinda a lil under the door edge.
2. I cut it down at anywhere from 400-550. Sweet spot for mine is 600-650 degrees. It will run about 700-750 for about an hour on a good full load of dry wood, then hang at 600-650 for a few hours, then slowly taper down.
3.Longest, never really kept track, I do know I have looked 12-14 hrs later and still had 150-200 or more degrees going. I get a good 8-10 sometimes 12 hrs of decent heat output, on a full box. I have also had a couple hot coals the day after the day I stop adding wood.
4. 2400 sf (main house). I can get 5 degree rise in about an hr. Recent cold temps outside still get from 76-80 inside. below 20 degrees about 73-75. Last year anyways. I have been getting longer & warmer burns due to A) A year under my belt, and B) Better seasoned wood.
5. Never had to, before getting gasket & door adjustment squared away, it did run hard.
6. Love it, actually wish for a larger fire box. My only real complaint is the 7/8" door gasket. Its an oddball size that no one here locally stocks. So I went with a 1" this time and it works great. Plenty of door adjustment left now;) The factory gasket is a flat tape type. Its about 3/8" thick to start with, leaving sheet for adjustment left on the door. I'll go with round for now on. I should not have had to replace the damn gasket after not even 1 yrs full usage.
Somehow my interior glass must have gotten micro scratches, prolly trying to clean (scrub) it while hot. I would not suggest it. Its almost liked perma fogged now. And the fly ash settles in that spot pretty bad. Next spring I'll change the glass and have learned a lesson. IN one aspect, the more I do, the more I learn, so they have been fun projects.
Blower works great, secondary burn is gorgeous, thing is built like a tank, and although I would not run at 800+ constantly, when door adjustment was needed, it did hit those temps and did not flinch. I am glad I chose it, and wouldn't change my decision. Unless Englander got of their arses and made a bigger firebox in their insert ;) One lever air control is nice too. With the amount of folks purchasing in here lately, there is a very good information base to take resources from.
I do miss Roospike not being around though. And where the hell is Willhound?????? Thy are the Summit veterans. While many Summit owners boast and praise the Summit. Which some take as being obnoxious, we are just proud of a very well built product, and are more than willing to help any new Summit owners to achieve their best performance.

Iceman
Congrats man!
Hogwildz, sorry brother, been out of touch for a while, getting a new business venture off the ground and helping my best buddy build a new house. Yep, we installed a Summit freestanding in, what else, Whorehouse Red!

Iceman, to answer your questions:

1) where do you put your thermometers?

Top right hand front corner, just under the lip of the door as HW said.

I start at wide open air and even leave the door just a little loose until flames are rolling good. Once wood is charred, I shut air lever down to about half. Once a good bed of coals and been burning a while and house is up to temp I close the air control lever all the wayh to L and let the EBT take over. Usually burn around 450 to 550 , sometimes a little higher.

Longest was about 14 hours from filling insert to still having a good red hot bed of coals and fan still running. Usually around 9 to 10 though. Fill it around 11 P.M., and at 7 A.M. just open the air up and fire in some splits and it'll take off again.

I never let it get cold, but from say 65 to 70 about an hour from a dead start. 1800 sq. ft. backsplit. Late 70's, not bad insulation, but crappy windows.

Only cause I wanted to,
Like all of it. Dislike that it doesn't haul it's own wood and ashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.