PE Summit - new install, initial reactions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MTDave

Feb 23, 2019
NW Montana
Just installed a Pacific Energy Summit a couple of days ago and wanted to share my impressions. It replaced a late 70s/early 80s Garrison stove.

Overall, really pleased with the swap. The Garrison was a bit of a pig: it would eat whatever you fed it and put out fast heat. The PE is much more civilized. Starting it up is a slower process, you can't just open up the air intake and turn it into a blast furnace like you could with the Garrison. It also takes more time to get it to the point where it is putting heat out, but once up to operating temperature it is way more consistent in heat output and way more efficient.

To sum up:

Huge glass door is awesome.

Easy to get a consistent burn that puts out even heat.

Burns more efficiently-it creates really light and puffy ash, not much of anything left over after burn. Pretty clear smoke out the chimney. I am stocking it less and not getting the temperature swings I did with the older stove.

Nice sized fire box.

Bad so far:

Door gasket started to fall off after first burn. Looks like a pain to replace as it is held in place with a high temp adhesive. Will attempt to get this fixed through the dealer.

I've been close to pulling the trigger on this unit but what holds me back is their customer support is non-existent. You can't speak to them you have to go through the dealers. About 6 weeks ago I posed a couple questions to Pacific Energy regarding temperature and draft limits for their unit. Crickets. No response. So they say in the owners manual not to overdraft, but when you ask them a question to explain what overdrafting is quantitatively they simply will not respond. I find this troubling about Pacific energy.

I hope you have good luck.

Sounds like not a big deal with your gasket. There's a piercing gasket on that unit if I am correct. With a little additional adhesive I think you're going to be fine.

Reactions: Ashhole
Just installed a Pacific Energy Summit a couple of days ago and wanted to share my impressions. It replaced a late 70s/early 80s Garrison stove.

Overall, really pleased with the swap. The Garrison was a bit of a pig: it would eat whatever you fed it and put out fast heat. The PE is much more civilized. Starting it up is a slower process, you can't just open up the air intake and turn it into a blast furnace like you could with the Garrison. It also takes more time to get it to the point where it is putting heat out, but once up to operating temperature it is way more consistent in heat output and way more efficient.

To sum up:

Huge glass door is awesome.

Easy to get a consistent burn that puts out even heat.

Burns more efficiently-it creates really light and puffy ash, not much of anything left over after burn. Pretty clear smoke out the chimney. I am stocking it less and not getting the temperature swings I did with the older stove.

Nice sized fire box.

Bad so far:

Door gasket started to fall off after first burn. Looks like a pain to replace as it is held in place with a high temp adhesive. Will attempt to get this fixed through the dealer.
It's a solid heater. The Summit will run quite differently than the Garrison. Once the fire gets going well, the stove will get hotter by turning down the air as long as the fire doesn't die out. The gasket issue has been reported before. It's easy to fix. Get some black or red RTV silicone and use it to glue the gasket back where it has come unstuck. Close the door and wait 12 hrs. to let the RTV cure.

Reactions: MTDave