PE Summit Noise - "Ka-Tink" Metal Sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BetterCallMaul

Feb 9, 2017
North Wales, PA
Just had a PE Summit installed. The stove is making a weird "ka-tink" noise...almost like something metal is opening and closing. This doesn't happen when the stove is running - only when it's not being used. Any ideas what this is?

Video below. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Mine make pretty much the same noise (when a bit windy) since it was installed. I think it may have to do with the extended burn.

Reactions: BetterCallMaul
Yeap, EBT flapper flappin away. You'll notice it more on windy days/nights, and even when you open & close the stove door at times.

Reactions: BetterCallMaul
Suppose you could pull the baffle and stuff the flue with something. Just be sure to leave a big note in the firebox to remove it before the next fire.

Suppose you could pull the baffle and stuff the flue with something. Just be sure to leave a big note in the firebox to remove it before the next fire.
You can pull the cap off the top, and cap it with a 6" PVC end cap for the summer.
This will also keep flies, bees and other critters out while not in use for the warmer weather.

Yeap, EBT flapper flappin away. You'll notice it more on windy days/nights, and even when you open & close the stove door at times.

Yep, just ignore it, it is what it is. Your refrigerator and dishwasher make noises too.

I thought that was the sound of money being saved because you aren't heating with gas, oil, or electric as much...