PE Summit Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bryankloos

Oct 31, 2013
Weston, CT
Hey guys

The other day while at work I was told the blower on my PE summit insert was not working with a good fire. I figured someone turned it off when cleaning up ash dust. Turns out they fixed it by switching to manual with it always being on as I discovered this morning when coming downstairs to the fan blowing with the stove cold. Sure enough in auto it's not coming on with a hot stove so my assumption is the thermal switch gave up the ghost.

Has anyone else had this happen on a stove that is only 4 seasons old? Is this uncommon?

Also, how easy is the fix? Looking at the manual it seems fairly straightforward and probably a good time the clean the surrounding fans and baffles.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks

Bryan

Snap disk switches do fail. On our pellet stove I replaces 3 of them in 5 yrs. Fortunately they are not expensive and reasonably easy to replace.

I would first attempt removing and replacing the fan. Two phillips head screws. While removing the unit, note how the snap disk slides onto the stove body - then if necessary gently bend the snap disk to make better contact with the stove. Blow and vacumm the squirrel cage fan blades while you have it removed from the stove - highly suggest doing this cleaning outside the home, or risk spousal abuse.

I only use manual mode as I hated listening to the fan cycle on/off when the stove cooled down and warmed up.

Also, even if the stove looks "hot", the area where the the disk is "sensing temperature" may not be as hot as you think, it takes quit a while for the mass of the entire stove body to warm.

Reactions: begreen